The Marmite Debate

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Do you hate or love Marmite?

• Total voters
Even tho I like vegemite. Mum used to send me to school with marmite and lettuce sandwiches which would get warm and soggy and yucky and in the rubbish bin. Exchanged for 5 cents of sweets from the shop over the road from school.

Super late to this one but I’d petition to ban it and I honestly think that any child made to eat it should be recused by social services or child protection :rofl:

Super late to this one but I’d petition to ban it and I honestly think that any child made to eat it should be recused by social services or child protection :rofl:
Forcing your kids to eat anything like that would be an immediate call to the NSPCC for me!

I don't actually remember when or how I first tried it, but I've been having it in my sandwiches and on toast since I can remember...

In Mexico, I once dared a person to swallow one teaspoon of hot mustard for $1. He did it and regretted it as he gagged and then downed lots of water afterwards.

An issue I've noticed with Marmite is that anyone trying it for the first time, (especially Americans), tend to slap it on thick, as you would peanut butter, or any other spread.
Obviously, that is way too much and will overpower most palates, with the extreme salt content making most people gag.
The trick is to only apply a thin smear and then the full and proper umami flavour will be there.
It actually does go well with a good peanut butter, especially the roasted peanut kind, tahini and it's rather good with cucumber.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back