The Journal Of A Marine Beginner

Yes, a sign of pairing, not necessarily mating though

Cool, they were bought very young - I've only just noticed this behaviour and they have been together for about 5months

Yup, cyano will gobble up nitrates quick

Sucked it up on the water change so its clear, the tank is looking crystal clear now!!

Last night I refitted the moonlights that were removed when I upgraded the lights, this time I lined them around the top of the tank so the back remains darkish, they look great and create the patterned swirling look I was after. None of the fish were bothered, they slept but for the first time, I noticed all the shrimp out (even the peppermints shrimps which I have never seen out) so that was cool....

Some time ago I put a post up asking what was happening with my mushroom leather coral. The post was about eight 6inch long white silky long-line comb type things coming out. Did not get any takers so I just presumed it was a secondary filter feeding mechanism that the coral uses, I was incorrect.

It turns out, these things are called Ctenophore or Comb Jellies, a type of jelly fish. They attach themselves to the coral and let out their long nets to catch food, it looks really strange.

Will try and get a photo of it later....

Just to nitpick comb jellies are not jellyfish or cnidarians at all but belong to a separate phylum, Ctenophora. Lucky you; these guys are harmless and interesting to watch. They do not possess stings as far as I am aware.

Just to nitpick comb jellies are not jellyfish or cnidarians at all but belong to a separate phylum, Ctenophora. Lucky you; these guys are harmless and interesting to watch. They do not possess stings as far as I am aware.

Thanks for pointing that out :good:

I've read that they dont last long in tanks however these have been there for a good while and have 'multiplied' over time. They are interesting, especially when they grab a xenia head and wont let go!!

The ones that live in leather corals can be very hardy. On a side note do you have any of those stationary snails that throw nets? Very interesting to watch them feed.

Most reactions

Back