The British Government Doesn't Like Ao Titles

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Danno

Fish Herder
Reaction score
If you guys aren't avid gamers, you probably haven't heard about the latest gory game that is coming out. Manhunt which was gory on it's own, was sued and banned in many states an countries. Now to further the matter, Manhunt II is coming out this halloween. This titles is rumored to be the bloodiest, goriest, and more brutal videogame ever made in the history of videogames. Furthering the brutality of the game, it is out for the Wii, and the Wii only. Note that the Wii is a motion sensitive system so you can imagine the possibilites in this video game. Strangling, stabbing, and shooting will all be on the list of motion controlled gore scenes. Not that this is all gore, but it is going to be scary as hell. There is also another rumor that the game will come with warning stickers on the dock and a pull out that warns players that they should only play this game in a place that is private so younger eyes do not wander on the screen. Well back on subject, here is an article on the British debate: Article on Manhunt 2

Just for another small debate, do you think that violent videogames hinder children's/adult's minds? Do you think that companies are going to far?

Well I'll tell you one thing, with something like this coming up, i'm going to be one of those crazy people waiting in line for this game :shifty:

I'll be too busy playing halo 3 lol.....but yes some companies are going too far. I'd rather they spent the time on good game play than gore. Developing a game which causes uproar, makes for a lot of free advertising,...which imo generally means the games aren't good enough to stand up on their own merit.

warning stickers on the dick

lol

I'll be too busy playing halo 3 lol.....but yes some companies are going too far. I'd rather they spent the time on good game play than gore. Developing a game which causes uproar, makes for a lot of free advertising,...which imo generally means the games aren't good enough to stand up on their own merit.

warning stickers on the dick

lol

lol, I corrected it.

Yeah, they go too far! Too much exposure to this style of game has been shown in research to alter people's perceptions of Death and Violence, as well as greatly increase the likelihood of aggressive behavior immediately following play. They have actually hooked young male children to EEG machines, and watched their brain activity, well let's just say that there was no intelectual stimulation going on, but their anger processing zones were going crazy.

Combine all this with a game that aims to be as bloody and gory as possible, so young people become desensitized to the violence and you don't have to stretch your imagination too far to see what sorts of things will come as a direct result of this game.

I think they should ban it here as well. Shooters are one thing, but gratuitously violent and graphic entertainment is quite another if you ask me. Nothing good will come of it.

SLC

Just another ditty to add, the first ammendment is the freedom of expressions, artisitic feel, press, and speech. What gives this game the right to go against the first ammendment?

Well I guess it is protected by the first amendment, no one is going to stop it from being written. But perhaps they should restrict where it can be sold, I don't know what the answer is. Well I do but it is not a popular one, the answer is that parents and guardians need to take a stronger role in what the young children under their charge are consuming on a daily basis. At home I can turn on the TV and get any sort of programing, any time of day. It is of concern that my younger daughter could do the same, so I have to be a bit controlling about the media that enters our home. Young minds are very impressionable, and need to be somewhat protected.

Now before you go off and tell me that we need to let our youth experience things for them selves, I agree with that. But there is a little common sense that needs to be involved, I've experienced the violent games etc, I know there is nothing good for my children to gain from them so why do I need to allow them to experience these things for themselves? I want them to grow up without a desire for graphic entertainment that only causes negative thoughts and emotions.

Anyone here disagree, let's keep it civil so it doesn't have to be closed!

SLC

This actually has nothing to do with "our youth". The game will be restricted to 18 and above so will not "damage the minds of the poor little kiddies" (unless parents are to stupid to actually pay attention to what they give their kids and what they are doing).

To say that computer games/TV/Music make people violent is complete rubbish. If someone is the type of person who is going to go out and hurt/kill someone then they are going to do it anyway.

That being said I agree 100% that children should not be subjected to violence in TV or video games (especially at this extreme) but that has nothing to do with computer games and everything to do with a complete lack of parenting skills. If parents let their children play with games like this it is not the fault of the people making the games but is completely the fault of the parent.

With regards to the actual game itself it is probably going to be a load of rubbish and I agree that most games that go out of their way to shock and get negative publicity do so because they are rubbish.

In short I have been playing computer games since I was a kid and I'm a pretty well adjusted guy with a well paid job, etc, etc. Now if you don’t agree with me I will ****** kill you! (joke :p)

Edit:
But there is a little common sense that needs to be involved, I've experienced the violent games etc, I know there is nothing good for my children to gain from them so why do I need to allow them to experience these things for themselves?

I completely agree with this. Far too many parents just dont seem to care what their kids are doing and it does make me happy to see that there are at least some parents out there that still actually know how to be parents. That being said there are video games out there that do have positive aspects and encourage problem solving, hand/eye co-ordination, team work and communication. You just have to be active about checking what you give your kids before you give it too them (not always easy when you constantly get the "But Dad my friend has it ans its so good, please, please, please, etc,etc ":) ).

XXBarneyXX I agree with most of what you've said, but feel I need to clarify a few things. First I never made the claim that violence in video games makes kids violent. Rather that being exposed to a violent video game raises the likelihood that an individual will lash out in a violent manner. This is not making any claims that video games turn people into pathologically violent individuals, simply that they can play a role in a sort of "temporary loss of self control" if you will. This has been documented extensively, and I'll go about finding the documentation to post here.

Second, the game will "damage the minds of our youth" simply because the rating system does virtually nothing to prevent young people from being exposed to these sorts of things. Even if a parent is as vigilant as possible at keeping these sorts of things out of the home, other parents aren't. This makes for opportunities for youth to simply play the game at the home of an acquaintance. I try to make sure that the homes my daughter plays in are good environments as well, but unless I'm there personally, I can never guarantee that.

Third, the people making the games have a large part in the responsibility for the exposure of youth. And they should in my opinion be required to invest a certain amount of the profits they make from this sort of media into campaigns to keep their products out of the reach of inappropriate viewers. After all, if the game makers never brought the game to market in the first place, there would be no problem to deal with; they have created the problem (admittedly to supply a market demand that is the fault of the public in general) but they created it nonetheless. For that reason saying that they have no fault in the exposure of our youth to graphic content just doesn't fly in my book.

SLC

Second, the game will "damage the minds of our youth" simply because the rating system does virtually nothing to prevent young people from being exposed to these sorts of things. Even if a parent is as vigilant as possible at keeping these sorts of things out of the home, other parents aren't. This makes for opportunities for youth to simply play the game at the home of an acquaintance. I try to make sure that the homes my daughter plays in are good environments as well, but unless I'm there personally, I can never guarantee that.

By that token then all non-child safe tv, films, books, web pages, magazines, music, newspapers, (well just about anything) should be treated the same. Like I said this is an issue with poor parenting skills (not yours btw) which is not the problem of whoever is making the products. Parhaps harser punishment for people that subject children to such things is in order.

I would like to see any properly conducted studies that normal people are actually influenced to act in a certain way by a computer game. I would like to think that most people are not so weak minded and stupid to be influenced in such a way. Personally I think alochol has a much bigger effect on "raising the likelihood that an individual will lash out in a violent manner" then any media product that most governments and people dont care about this at all.

All I'm saying is that its not really an issue. If someone doesn't like it they dont have to buy/play it, same as films, music, news papers, etc, etc, etc.

Third, the people making the games have a large part in the responsibility for the exposure of youth. And they should in my opinion be required to invest a certain amount of the profits they make from this sort of media into campaigns to keep their products out of the reach of inappropriate viewers

They have zero responsiblility for policing the state or making sure that parents are actually being parents. If you start restricting one thing like this or enforcing policies such as you have suggested then where does it end. Personally I dont want the government telling me what I can and cant do in my own time anymore then they already do. There are much, much worse things in the world that need to be taken care of.

(PS please, please, please dont take any of this as personal thing because none o it is meant that way but could possible be read like it :) ).

No, not taking anything personal at all. You make some valid points by the way!

My suggestion would be something in-line with what has happened to the tobacco companies over here in the USA. It was proven that their products are harmful, and that they were at times marketed to minors, so now the tobacco companies have to help fund anti-tobacco campaigns. Not that computer game companies should have to fund anti-computer game campaigns (I am by the way with you on the thinking that there are many good games out there deserving of young people's attention) but rather that they should maybe be required to invest some of the profits from making graphically violent video games into campaigns to keep those games away from young people. It would make the game makers seem much more responsible and respectable, which would in-turn help them sell more stuff, and it could help keep some of these things away from kids who's parents aren't as aware as some.

I'm thinking something more like a public awareness campaign, you have to admit, a lot of people don't really realize just how graphic some of this stuff is.

SLC

reports coming.....

O.K. here they are:

http://culturalpolicy.uchicago.edu/conf200...pers/walsh.html
A study that finds that playing violent video games does in fact increase the likelihood that a child will be involved in actual physical fighting. Also has an amusing report on an experiment conducted on college age youth.

http://www.apa.org/science/psa/sb-anderson.html
More evidence, this one actually puts the facts forward to contradict most of the arguments against violent behavior being influenced by violent video games.

http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/health/fe...cout536261.html
This one deals with the effects on self control I mentioned earlier.

Have a read up, and post any concerns you may have with the research.

SLC

Cool, will take a look at them when I get home.

Thinking about it you may have a very good point that awareness does need to be raised in parents that think "its a computer game, of courses its ok for kids, thats what they are made for!".

A good example would be some friends of mine who bought Grand Theft Auto for their 10 year old. When I asked them if they where ok with their 10 year old playing a game where it is possible for the main character to beat people to death with a sex toy they looked at me blankly and didnt have a clue what the game was actually about.

I used to work as a social worker so get pretty annoyed with people that dont seem to be able to take proper care of their kids. While you cant shield them from everything you should at least not go out of your way to introduce them to these kind of things.

We have noticed that at times when our son (10) is using the playstation more regularly, i.e during wet/cold weather when they cant play out so much or when his friends are not about his behaviour becomes increasingly worse and aggressive, so much so that we have recently banned all video games in the house until further notice. He and his friends become noticeably addicted to certain games and when they are not playing the game they will talk about the game non stop so there is proof that these games do have an effect on the minds of children.

Now let me be clear we don't let him or any of his friends while they are in our house play any games which we think are unsuitable for children but not all parents are so diligent, our son recently came home with a 18 rated game (i cant remember the title now) that he had borrowed from a friend at school. We immediately confiscated the game and the next day spoke the child's mother, she admitted she had no idea that he was playing a 18 rated game and that his absent father had bought him the game during one of his "daddy days", she had no idea that games had adult only ratings until we told her!.

Now i must admit that i do occasionally enjoy the escape of a good gore splattered shoot em up so i wouldnt like to see these games banned all together but there does need to be an increased awareness of what these games are the the problems they may cause in people of weaker minds.

Agreed CFC! Truth be told, in my home we own a Nintendo Gamecube, XBox, Nintendo Wii, and 3 computers. Most of my favorite games are rated either T or M in the USA T=Teens or above, M=mature audiences. I am especially fond of the Splinter Cell series of games, the last few of which have been rated M. But I'll never play those games when my children are around, and they are locked up our master bedroom away from the kids.

Aside from that I like to play the FIFA soccer games, and a lot of the newer Wii games aimed toward younger children are a blast to play with the daughter. I don't think at all that all games are bad, I do think that there should be moderation excersized when allowing children access to the video game console. That's why I'm so fond of the Wii, my wife and I can set a time limit that it can be played for, then it reminds you to go out and get some excersize.

I do think that some sort of ad campaign should be implemented to increase awareness in parents just exactly what kind of content they can expect their children to be exposed to when making a game purchase. I don't think it's unfair or unjust to require game makers to foot part of the bill for such a measure. But then again you are always going to have those parents who just don't care if their 8 year old is playing GTA and having his character pick up hookers and kill cops.

SLC

He and his friends become noticeably addicted to certain games and when they are not playing the game they will talk about the game non stop so there is proof that these games do have an effect on the minds of children.

I would have to argue this point as normal childhood behaviour. I have seen the same with kids beyblades and some card game whos name I cant remeber off the top of my head. Kids where constantly wanting to watch the cartoons or play the games etc and when they wheren't watching or playing they where talking about it. This is not something that is just limited to computer games (though computer games do tend to have more long term appeal then most of the other fads kids get into).

I'm not disputing the fact though that if you leave a kid alone they would likely be quite hppy spending all day playing computer games. However with most kids they would also be quite happy sitting watching TV all day and its up to the parents to make sure they dont go over the top with any activity (also something that I really thought was good on the Wii).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back