The Battle of Black Beard (Algae)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

noobfish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So, after an uneventful 8 months of the 29g community tank running, it developed beard algae. Nothing changed, same lighting schedule, same WC schedule, and same weekly dosage of Flourish. Plants were all doing well, even had to split a monster of an anubias. And then I noticed in December that some beard algae was developing on the edges of leaves.

Did some looking around and the consensus seemed to be that there was an imbalance somewhere. Since nothing had changed with lighting or ferts, I decided to tackle the possibility of CO2 being off. I don't inject and just have a HOB filter. It is oversized for the tank, but I keep the water level fairly high, so there's not a lot of surface disturbance. So first course of action was to get a sponge filter. I assumed that this would give me better gas exchange with the introduction of air and more surface disturbance. Installed and let it run for a few weeks. The algae continued to spread.

Next I decided to cut out the Flourish from the weekly tank regimen. I did not add any ferts for the next 3 weeks, while continuing normal weekly 75% WC's. Plants faired fine, as did the algae.

Time to look at the lighting. I reduced the duration and intensity of the light schedule (I chose to reduce since I know from getting it dialed in that any increase would produce standard green algae). I kept the reduced schedule, while still not adding any ferts, for 3 more weeks. The beard algae didn't slow at all.

At this point all plants were covered in the stuff, with the val., sword, and java fern being the hardest hit. At a loss and getting quite frustrated, this past Friday I decided I was getting rid of it one way or another. Time to go scorched earth on this parasite.

I removed all residents to a temporary storage tub and drained the tank. I removed all plants and hardscape and placed them in the bathtub. Removed all gravel substrate and trashed it(it was a rushed mix of white/black and I always hated it). I sprayed down the insides of the tank with 3% hydrogen peroxide and scrubbed it down. Rinsed it, drained it, and repeated 3 more times. I had read multiple places that hydrogen peroxide will kill the algae, so that is why it was used. I took to the plants and hardscape in the bathtub, spraying everything with H2O2 and let sit. After 5 min I rinsed everything well with fresh water. I put in all brand new black sand substrate, the cleaned hardscape, planted plants, and filled the tank. After letting it run and settle for an hour I put everyone back in. All-in-all, took about 4 hours.

The next morning I was pleased to see that all the beard algae had turned a reddish/orange. 48hrs later and it was a burgundy and wilting.

It was a battle to be sure, but I had emerged victorious. Of course, as with all wars, there will be collateral damage and incent life lost. This time would be no different. I arrived home from work last night to notice that plants are in full meltdown. The amazon sword, the many, many val. contortionist, all lying limp with leaves that give a clear view through to the other side. The ferns look weak, but they and the anubias nana look as though they may pull through.

The algae is dying a slow death and the war was won. But at what cost?? I'll know soon enough when I visit my LFS to purchase all new plants.

Have you cleaned out your filter recently? What's the output like? Do you have a spray bar?

Have you cleaned out your filter recently? What's the output like? Do you have a spray bar?
I change pre-filter sponge every week with WC and change the floss in the filter as needed (maybe once a month). I never "clean" the inside of the filter, don't see the need to disturb the BB.

HOB filter is rated at 250g/hr. Oase sponge filter is running about 35L/hr.

No spray bars.

I had a tank that developed black beard twice. Once it was so long and luxurious, that as a bald guy I was considering it for a transplant.

Both times, after a few months, it vanished, almost overnight. It's been 5 years since it last showed up.

I tend to notice it after some sort of disturbance such as cleaning the filter out, or doing some rescaping and disrupting the substrate. Perhaps it likes the organics present in the water column? But i agree (with Gary) it did disappear of its own accord.

I had a tank that developed black beard twice. Once it was so long and luxurious, that as a bald guy I was considering it for a transplant.

Both times, after a few months, it vanished, almost overnight. It's been 5 years since it last showed up.
I tend to notice it after some sort of disturbance such as cleaning the filter out, or doing some rescaping and disrupting the substrate. Perhaps it likes the organics present in the water column? But i agree (with Gary) it did disappear of its own accord.
Well it will definitely be gone now. I couldn't take the look of it and it seemed to be affecting the plants negatively.
I'm a bit worried that the new plants I purchase may have some spores. Doubtful, but just in case I'll be doing a bleach dip prior to tank installation. Not sure that will help, maybe just mentally.

The balance of light/nutrients can be delicate. I have dealt with this algae a few times in my 30+ years of fish tanks. Six years ago I got the balance worked out in all 8 tanks, and for two summers noted the algae--which was not increasing during the rest of the year--increased in the larger tanks. That turned out to be due to the longer day and brighter daylight in summer. Completely blocking the windows resolved that, and for four years now not a sign of this algae.

If the cause, which is the imbalance, is not resolved, the algae will return. Guaranteed. Killing the plants is not the best solution and it won't rid the algae anyway. Light and nutrients means algae.

At times, over several years, I have had this algae on wood in a tank but never get on the plants. The light/nutrients were balanced for the plants, and algae was inconvenienced, even though it was certainly present. Rather attractive on the wood, and the fish loved browsing through it looking for microscopic bits of food.

The balance of light/nutrients can be delicate. I have dealt with this algae a few times in my 30+ years of fish tanks. Six years ago I got the balance worked out in all 8 tanks, and for two summers noted the algae--which was not increasing during the rest of the year--increased in the larger tanks. That turned out to be due to the longer day and brighter daylight in summer. Completely blocking the windows resolved that, and for four years now not a sign of this algae.

If the cause, which is the imbalance, is not resolved, the algae will return. Guaranteed. Killing the plants is not the best solution and it won't rid the algae anyway. Light and nutrients means algae.

At times, over several years, I have had this algae on wood in a tank but never get on the plants. The light/nutrients were balanced for the plants, and algae was inconvenienced, even though it was certainly present. Rather attractive on the wood, and the fish loved browsing through it looking for microscopic bits of food.
To be clear, the intent was not to kill the plants, rather just the algae. I knew it was taking a chance, but one I was willing to. I imagine it will be quite some time if/when it returns. In removing the substrate completely, all mulm/organics were removed as well so not an abundance of nutrients to go around (I did bomb quite a few Flourish tabs into the new substrate). I assume this will start a clean slate. Luckily there seems to be enough BB in the filter as testing has returned 0-0-3.

To be clear, the intent was not to kill the plants, rather just the algae. I knew it was taking a chance, but one I was willing to.

I understood this. But I would have said no to use of hydrogen peroxide. Rhonda Wilson authored the planted tank column in TFH a few years back, and I remember her saying more than once never use any chemical on plants. In her words, anything actually strong enough to kill algae or snails will inevitably harm the plants to some degree. I think it is a good maxim. :fish:

BBA loves water changes. At this point in my plant career ( water) I now see the experts as totally wrong. What you need to do is have a fine and large pre filter of floss. Too often its just handful..make it substantial. THAT is what you clean every week or more often if there is trouble.
BBA and BGA thrive in water changes. You might even use carbon instead of a big water change. Also..might as well increase the bio media if possible.
Shortening the light period is a good start.
My worst algae problems were when I changed 40% of the water per week. The least is NOW when I go a few months without a change. If your plants are established? They will thank you for the aged water. I have an aquarium full of plants and when I took my foot of the water change pedal they took off. Just add potassium and Seachem iron..if needed.
My not perfect..but no Co2 Aquarium today.
That's one more point sometimes- Settle for healthy plants,not leaf perfection. Especially on normal aquariums i.e. low tech.

Attachments

• IMG_4394.JPG
    IMG_4394.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 54

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back