the addiction....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hi I'm CM and I am NOT a fishaholic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave up using that term around tank number 50....or was it 60.....or maybe 75......nope must have been tank number 130!!

I know your all thinking, but he's a retailer and he don't count, RIGHT.....WRONG!!!

I wasn't always a retailer. Nope started about......well let's just say a long time ago.

I walked into a pet shop (can't remeber what for) and decide to go look at the fish. Big mistake. There right inside the fishroom was the biggest gold severum I had ever seen.

Well I walked out of there a few hundred dollars lighter with a complete 30 gallon set up.

Withing the next 2 months I had 13 tanks set up. Over the next several years I was content with the tanks I had.

About 12 years ago I moved and sold off all but the 135 gallon tank I had. Didn't plan on setting even that tank up, but one day got the urge so up it went.

One Saturday I went to one of the shops I was a regular customer at and the owner told me he had 8 50 gallon breeder tanks and a blower (big air pump) for sale.

Withing the next two weeks I had those 8 tanks up and running. Over the next several years I would hunt for pet stores selling off their fishrooms and buy them out of their tanks and any other equipment they had.

Thus started my fish breeding business. Well the rest is history.

My wife and I now run a modest retail operation from our home. We have steady walk-in customers as well as customers throughout the United States as we ship anywhere with in the US.

Addicted..........nope. Crazy......just a bit. Oh and we have plans for adding another 20 or so tanks over the winter.

CM

I'm jealous....I'm seriously considering giving up wotk and opening my own fish shop...I have been looking for a career that I can do self employed for years and I think that I may have found my calling in life...I can think of nothing more enjoyable than looking after (and selling) fish, as well as teaching people the correct way to look after their fish...tank pets at home on and show them a thing or two...!! ;)

When I mentioned this to my housemate she laughed and thought that I was joking (how wrong can she be!!)

When I told my mum she just said "well you never were one to do things by halves!" I personally don't see the problem...i'm not afraid of hard work provided that I'm doing something enjoyable with my life..

I'm already planning to get my dad a tank for crimbo (he looks longingly at mine whenever he comes round) so that I can give him some of my babies. I also have a few people in the area that are wanting a baby or two..I don't mind giving them a couple, cause i'll just end up with too many if I'm not careful, so why not start my own business and make some cash outa it..?! ;)

Another addict in the house <----
I spend more money on the hobby than on my food ... my parents and friends believe I've gone mental. Half of my pay-check goes on my fish ...
This is getting out of hand. I don't go to the movies anymore. I go to fish stores instead. The fish store owners are happy though ... you know ... the dollar symbol suddenly appears on their eye balls when they see me entering the area :lol:
I even do plans for a huge fish room in my future house.

I to am a fishoholic :lol: like all of you i started off with 1 little 5 gallon and then suddenly your home starts getting taken over by tanks :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: my partner and freinds think i'm all nuts :blink: :blink: :fun: :fun: but what do they know :lol: :lol: :lol: :hyper:

The fish store owners are happy though ... you know ... the dollar symbol suddenly appears on their eye balls when they see me entering the area

my LFS people know me and my husbend by name and we have spent so much money there we ge 10% off whatever we buy now. that comes in handy when we have to buy live rock at 10.00 a lb. or enough salt for our 125gl tank. or saltwater fish that cost 100.00 or more :D

and yes my name is Gina and i'm a fishaholic! :/

addict here. the first step is to admit you have a problem. :p
i got my first tank, a 10 gal, used from a friend back in july. then i bought a second 10 gal shortly after. then i bought a 20 gal. (one ten and the 20 are waiting to be set up, need stands). i have mollys and cories in the 10 gal. then i bought a betta and a 2 gal tank for him. then i bought another betta and a one gal. then another betta and another one gallon. tonight after work i'm getting two 5 gal (they're on sale for $5 each, will get hoods later) to use for fry and another betta or maybe just for three more corys, haven't decided yet. when i move into a house, i plan to make room in the family room for a 55 gal, put a 10 in the living room and have a small spare bedroom set up with my current 2 tens and the 20, and more bettas. :fun: :fun: :fun:
its a healthy addiction at least!!!!!!! :hyper:

AARRGGHH..I'm sat at work waiting for hometime to come and I have just caught myself re-designing my kitchen so that I can fit a fishtank in....!!!! :eek:

actually been sitting here working out what I DON'T need in a kitchen so that I can work out where to put one....crikey..thats obsession!

HELP ME....!!!! :crazy:

Most reactions

Back