Thai Plum Crabs

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Narayan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Today I went (with Red) to Maidenhead Aquatics in Chichester. As she was searching for her stuff, I noticed a tank with Thai plum crabs. Apparently they are newly imported. They looked great and Ive decided that I really got to get another tank 'cos I want some. Has anyone else seen them?

:)

I tried to see if I could find a picture, but no dice. Google finds a grand total of zero results when I search for "Thai plum crabs" and about 4 for just "plum crab". This usually sounds to me like a shop "making up" a name for something it isn't sure about, or just giving something a name to be "different". Maybe try and get the scientific name? That would probably help a lot.

\Dan

FishDan said:
This usually sounds to me like a shop "making up" a name for something it isn't sure about, or just giving something a name to be "different". Maybe try and get the scientific name? That would probably help a lot.

\Dan
You could be right. For instance my australian blue lobster isnt a lobster, its a crayfish.
I think I'll call them and ask more questions. :rolleyes:

Calling crayfish lobsters is a common mistake and nearly every shop misnames the larger speices as a lobster.

Thanks for that Ava_Banana.

It could possibly be the ricefield crab, Sayamia bangkokensis, although Im still not sure, the picture there isnt very good.

I wish maidenhead were more specific with their information. It seems like "thailand plum crab" is sufficient, but not for me.

I have seen a red claw lobster in their Woking branch. At least that is what they said it was. It was an australian blue lobster/crayfish. When I challenged them about their label, the guy who came with me to look, simply shrugged and said "well, it has some red on its claw". ER, ok, so that makes it a red claw lobster........ NO!

I would have liked to get them and follow up on what they actually are, but Im leaving my home town (and my apartment) soon, so my remaining livestock has to be looked after by someone else. There is no point in me getting new stock, sadly.
They looked great :)

Most reactions

Back