Tff Favourite Recipes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

boozybears

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I know that we have some AMAZING chefs in the TFF family and thought it might be fun for members to post thier favourite recipes all in one thread. Simple or complicated, gourmet or mac and cheese: just give us recipes for those tried tested and true meals that we all may enjoy! Who knows, maybe one day we can get it published :)

I don't have time to type mine in now.. however will come back later this week and add a few.

My bf loves my garlic and lemon pepper chicken!

Basically I just squeeze a lemon and add the juice to some olive oil grate a clove of garlic and add it to the lemon juice and olive oil then grind some black pepper into it and mix it up! I then create a couple of slices in the chicken (I use skinless chicken breasts) and pull out some grated garlic and insert it into the slits! Then I place the chicken breasts and the dressing in a freezer bag to marinade for a couple of hours! Then I just grill the chicken until its cooked (can't remember how long sorry) and serve with a salad!

It's also nice if you part cook it and then place it to finish off on a bbq in summer!

Escarole and beans! One of my grandmother's quick side dishes (20-25 minutes)

One head of escarole chopped (only the leafy green portion; save the rest for salad)
A can of white canneli kidney beans (goya is best)
2 or 3 cloves of garlic (thinly sliced)
olive oil
small can of Contadina (my favorite) tomato sauce
fresh parsley and basil
splash of red pepper (a must)
salt and pepper

In a medium/largish sized pot fry up your garlic in a generous amount of olive oil until the garlic is golden brown. Add your tomato sauce, red pepper, parsley and basil; simmer for 5 minutes. Add your beans, bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes or until beans are tender. You may need to add a bit of water because the consistency should be soup like and the beans may absorb the water. Then add your escarole and cook for a couple of minutes until tender. Salt and pepper to taste. It's yummy!

Spicy Sea Bream withn Lemon and Pepper

Serves 2 Cost £6.00 (£4.50 for fish and £1.50 for spices and veggies)
Prepairs and Cooks in 20 minutes start to finish.

2 large Sea Bream
1 sml pck Cajun spices (morrisons or even El Paso Fajita seasoning works)
Lemon wedge x 2
Olive Oil
Fresh Ground pepper

Oven to 210'

Scale and Gut your Bream (or ask your fishmonger to do it )
Using a very sharp knife make 4 slahes on each side of the fish and rub liberally into slashes and inside fish with cajun spices mix

Place on a baking sheet (covered in Foil) drizzle with small amount olive oil and bake in a hot oven (210') for about 15 minutes till cooked through and browned on the skin

squeeze a small wedge of lemon over the fish whilst still hot from the oven and grind of fresh black pepper

If your not on a diet a small amount (about 1/2 a teaspoon) of real butter put on the fish straight from the oven is really nice too

Serve with Jacket Potato, sugar snap peas and Baby corn

Delish....I had it for my dinner this evening

:D :D :D

:drool: I like the sound of that, thanks for sharing that one.

Arfie *thinking of going to fishmongers tomorrow*

A firm favourite in our house. Quick and easy when late home from work.

Chicken fillets
button mushrooms........cut in half if large
1 jar of tomato-based pasta sauce.......we use Loyd Grossman tomato and basil
dried pasta........we use penne
finely grated cheddar cheese

Cube the chicken and brown in a lightly greased pan, transfer to a plate.
Add mushrooms to the pan and stir-fry over a high heat for 4-5 mins.
Add the pasta sauce and chicken.
Bring to the boil then cover and simmer gently for about 10 mins, stirring often.
Season if needed and remove from the heat.
Meanwhile cook pasta as per packet instructions. Drain well and add to the chicken mixture.
Toss to coat evenly and serve topped with the grated cheese.

Enjoy.

Lucky you. I have just found an empty bread bin, oh well a bowl of cereal it is then. Pouring with rain all morning so I refuse to go out. Whoever had the last of the loaf can stop at Tescos on their way home tonight. ( And I will eat the last bar of chocolate and not tell. )

here is a simple snack (kids love it)

Egg in nest

ingredients
olive oil (or your favourite oil)
1 slice bread
1 egg yolk

items needed
1 frying pan
1 egg cup
1 teaplate

place the bread on a flat surface
invert the egg cup and press a hole in the middle of the bread (makes the nest part)
gently fry the bread in the olive oil (low heat is best) on one side
whilst that is cooking
crack the egg onto a teaplate place the egg cup over the yolk
now pour off the whites. (pour into a cup and make a merange later)
now turn over the bread (if cooked) and pour into the hole the egg yolk
cook to taste (ie hard or soft yolk)
and serve
takes around 5 mins

we used to make them when I was a kid and called it egg in a window (square hole) with my daughter I used to cut holes in the bread with fancy pastry cutters (dinosaures etc :*) )

Still love them now as a comfort food :*) :*) :*)

Chicken a la thing;

Ingredients;
Chicken breasts (skinless) x 3
Tomato Sauce (No advertising allowed but use He**z)
Worcestershire Sauce (Yup you KNOW the one to use :) )
Salt
Pepper
Chilli Flakes (or, preferable if you can get it, use PERI-PERI. It's the bees knees :p )

Method;
OK so it's a bit vague, but it doesn't matter!
Take a smallish tea mug. Half fill with with tom sauce. Add enough Worcester to cover the tom sauce (it's about a 1:4 ratio). Add a good grind of salt n pepper. Add a good pinch of chilli flakes (about 1/4 teaspoon) or a dash of Peri-peri. If the mood takes you dump a teaspoon of dried garlic in as well (or 2 fresh, crushed cloves of garlic.) Mix the entire concoction well.
Deeply score chicken and pour sauce onto breasts, make sure it's well rubbed in.
Cover with foil.
Cook at 180 deg C for 15 min, remove foil and cook for a further 20-25 min
Serve with chips (or fries if you're in the U.S) & floured onion rings.
OR..
Chill it down, slice thinly and make sandwiches with it. Add a little finely sliced spring onion, cucumber and Hoi Sin sauce to make it sweet and sexy :rolleyes:

It's better than it sounds... (Trust me, would I lie?... ;) )

It's simple, quick and yum. OK, it's not sophisticated, but it fills yer tum and you'll feel good afterward!

Ok, here's my easy casserole that I make in the slow-cooker over night.

Firstly, shop at Iceland - or if we're not allowed to advertise, shop at the shop that "Mum's gone to".

1 or 2 x bags of their frozen cubed steak
1 x bag of frozen "casserole mix" veg (these are in the "3 for £2" section)
a few other mixed veg (might as well get 3 bags for £2, so sling in some of those peas you bought)
Bisto gravy granules (or any that you like)
A couple of potatoes, three or four normal sized ones, halved, or 2 of those jumbo baking ones, quartered.

Method.

Shove it all in the slow cooker from frozen, make up at least a litre of gravy and put that in too.

Put the lid on and turn it on before you go to bed - turn it off in the morning and fridge it.

Wow that was hard :lol:

Points to remember.

Don't make the gravy too thick, just make it normal looking, remember it will thin down a bit when everything stats to defrost, but it's going to be cooking for 6 or 7 or even 8 hours, so it will boil off a bit and you don't want it to over thicken and burn. It's a lot easier to boil it the next evening with the lid off for 20 minutes if it's too wet, then it is to try to thin down and save a big lump of gloop.

Variations.

I also make this with their skinless, boneless, chicken breasts (pack of 5) and just cut them up after I take it off in the morning, just fish around until you find them and chop them up a bit with the spoon.

My family loves this, we have it at least once a week. It has been one of the only meals I can guarantee everyone will eat, everytime I serve it, since Dylan was 10 months old.

I usually do Smash (instant mashed potato) with it, but that's because I am a full time working mum, and what ever time I spend cooking in the evening, is time I don't get to spend playing with my son.

hmmm they all sound nice, especially the sea bream yummy
:drool:

I'm not the beast cook in the world, so my recipe is:

go to supermarket buy lots of different ingredients.

Lock CFC in kitchen (telling him he can't see his fish until something wonderful is created)

Open bottle of wine and wait

45 mins later and voila - a sumptuous meal steaming infront of you. :wub:

one of the few things I can make is coronation chicken, very fattening but yummy:

Ingredients: 4 chicken breasts, 2 onions, apricot jam, curry powder, mayo and double cream.

cube chicken breast boil till cooked with finely diced onion (add salt and pepper to taste). then leave to cool.

dice remaining onion and fry till transparent, add a couple of tablespoon of apricot jam and 2/3 tablespoon of curry power (or a bit more if like me you like it stronger) stir together on a reasonable heat until you get a brown paste (with the onions in it) - leave to cool

once both cooled

drain chicken (keep stock)

add mayo to onions and curry powder (usually a good couple of tablespoons) add a dollop of double cream - if liquid is very thick add some of the chicken stock.

mix together chicken and sauce, refridgerate, eat with baked pots. crusty bread, salad or rice (hot or cold).

hmmm they all sound nice, especially the sea bream yummy
:drool:

I'm not the beast cook in the world, so my recipe is:
go to supermarket buy lots of different ingredients.
Lock CFC in kitchen (telling him he can't see his fish until something wonderful is created)
Open bottle of wine and wait
45 mins later and voila - a sumptuous meal steaming infront of you. :wub:

:rofl:

I don't think I can top that, but I did come up with something two days ago, that I finally enjoyed last night.

First, I'd like to say that you can cook Cornish game hens in a gunny sack and they'll still taste great. Something about the meat just really has an excellent flavor. But I'll post a recipe anyways.

Ingredients:

Main dish:
1 Rock cornish game hen
2 tbs of butter
1/8 tsp of course ground pepper
1/2 tsp of Kosher salt
1 cup of dry white wine
1/4 onion sliced
3-4 slices of salami
3-4 capers

Day One: Carefully wash the game hen and remove internal yuckies (great technical term). In a small tupperware put the little bugger breast up. Fold his wittle wings under if you like. Rub his body with the salt and pepper. Make sure both spices get underneath the skin on his breast. Do this on both sides. If you need more salt and pepper, go for it. It is not a thick rub, just a slight coating. Turn him back breast up, insert onion slices and salami underneath the skin of his breast. Stick some onion into his cavity as well. Insert butter underneath the breast skin as well. Flip him so he's breast down and pour the white wine into the container. Cover with seram wrap and put in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

Day two:
Side dish:
3 small red-skin potatoes
1-1 and 1/2 cups of baby carrots
2 tbs of butter
salt and pepper to taste
1stp of olive oil

Rinse and peel potatoes. Cut each potato into 8 or so pieces. Rinse the carrots. Place the carrots and potatoes in a skillet and coat with regular table salt and course pepper. Light coating is sufficient. Add the the olive oil and butter and sautee until colored slightly. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cover a small cake pan (this is not a big dish) with tin foil and coat the tinfoil with a smidgen of olive oil to prevent sticking. Remove the game hen from the fridge and arrange him breast-down on the cakepan. Discard the marinade in the container. Cook him breast down for about 10-15 minutes, until he gets a bit of color. Remove him from the oven, flip the little guy so he's breast up and arrange the potatos and carrots to surround him. In addition, if you want, sprinkle a little salt on his breast before you stick him back in. Cook him for about 30 minutes until he has good color (golden brown, honey brown, crispy skin). Then, cover the cake pan with tin foil and cook the game hen until the juices run clear from the breast. Let the little bugger stand for about 10 minutes and then arrange him on a plate with his potatoes and carrots. I nearly died the flavor was so good, and when you cut into the breast and onion and salami peak out, Mmmmmm, yummy to the tummy. :drool: Prep time isn't long, and though it takes an hour to cook, I entertained myself by unpacking a plant shipment.

I just came up with this last night, but this is kind of a taste of what I cook in my apartment. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. Unfortunately, since this meal was improvised, actual measurements are approximate. I happen to really enjoy game hens, and another favorite way to prepare them is Jamaican style. I also exercise a lot, so I basically eat what I want, and I kind of ignore salt and fat restrictions. Enjoy! :)

Disclaimer: I mean no offense when I refer to the Game hen as a him. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back