Tetras Tetras Tetras Tetras Tetras Tetras....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ChrisC

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
....tetras tetras tetras tetras tetras.... ok I'll stop, but, as you may have guessed, todays topic of conversation is tetras. ;)

Now, beyond the odd neon or two, I have had little experience with them, and getting general information on them seems to be so hard as its such a massive family, and all the information from a quick rumage round in the archives of google seems fairly superficial.

Basically put, I'm after a little info on their behaviour, feeding habits, life span, NH3 production etc, but particually shoaling behaviour. The reason I ask is for a 20 gallon (96ltr) tetra tank. I preferably want three different shoals of tetras, one of which is black phantom tetras and another one is neons.

As far as the third species goes, I was considering serpae tetra or perhaps rummy nose tetra. Main factor affecting decision will be their shoaling behaviour (something which shoals like it's never shoaled before would be ideal :good: ), although I'm after something fairly colourful, preferably red in colour. Any input on information for either the rummy nose or serpae, or perhaps a suggestion as to an alternative species that you reckon is more suitable would be greatly appreciated. 8)

Chris

My pennyworth on this subject: serpae tetras have a reputation for being extremely nippy. Black phantoms have long dorsal fins which they waggle about. This sounds like a potentially problematic combination. If your water is not too hard or very full of nitrates, the rummynoses might be a better bet.

I heartily recommend bleeding heart tetras. Nice colours, plenty of presence, and very, VERY, hardy. They don't nip, but they are a bit pushy, and chase each other about all day. Lots of displaying, too, with fish waggling their fins at one another. Not ideal with really peaceful fish (like neons or glowlights) because of their pushiness at feeding time, but they will work together provided you keep an eye on things and make sure everyone gets to eat.

Red phantoms are also nice -- but they're subtropical fish. Don't last that long in tropical aquaria. Would be fine with subtropical Corydoras species, danios, etc.

Cherry barbs might be a nice choice (I know they aren't tetras) because they have the colours but a different behaviour, being territorial and solitary. It's fun to watch them scoot about chasing each other like demented gobies.

Cheers,

Neale

okay...is your tank cycled? if not, i would sincerely suggest that you do so before putting either neons or cardinals or rummy noses in!

i agree with michael, if you're looking for spectacular fish, go for cardinals as opposed to neons. they have more red and grow slightly larger. whichever one you get make sure you have a nice leafy aquarium with fish plants such as cabomba, so that the fish can hide when they feel threatened. otherwise they will lose their colour.

serpaes are very nippy fish, though they are absolutely wonderful if kept in a large shoal.

rummy noses will go very nicely with cardinals, neons or black widows.

if you like shoaling fish and have a new tank, might i suggest tiger barbs (either standard or green). they look delightful when they shoal together and are quite hardy.

cardinals are nice and penguins i heard are prety good

Lampeyes are one of my favorite and of course the classic neons and cardinals. Also while they aren't tetras, harlequin rasboras look great amongst tetras in my opinion.

Black skirt tetras are a nice tetra... they coem in two flavors two! long and short finned! they get nce and black and shiney in the rear end too! very pretty.. females get pretty big and their little males make them look like battle shsips and crusiers haah!

I have quite a few tetras, as you can see from my stocking. In a 20 gallon I wouldn't recommend silver tips becasue they are a little agressive and sometimes nippy. They tend to make smaller fish hide in a corner (fish that are less than an inch long). They mainly go after themself, though, particualrly females. If you /do/ get these, I suggest getting more females than males if possible. Females are paler and tend to look more silver that gold colored, and they are a little bit 'taller' in their body if that makes sense.
My phantoms are one of my favorite, they show spectacular colors in my tank, it's very easy to tell males from females, too, because females have red... pectoral fins, i think it is? Also, my females fins seem to be more 'solid colored' than the males, and I personally think the look much better. I love watching the phantoms because they flare their fins a lot, but I think it appears to be random when the do it, lol. They are a really nice fish.

Neons are the best of these three if you want schooling fish. The group of ten that I have always stays together, but they don't really /school/ unless I stick my hand in the tank or the lights go on or off. In that case, everything goes together, even the silver tips. I prefer neons over cardinals because I like having more blue than red, but that's just me. The neons are very peaceful.

I would suggest for a 20 gallon only 2 groups of 9 or ten tetras with a centerpiece fish, maybe a pearl gourami if you chose more peaceful tetras. The reason I say this is because tetras are much happier, active, and healthier when they are in bigger groups. If you have 3 groups of about 6 each, there would be more diversity, but I personally don't think the tank would look as good. When I first got my tank I was going to get 5 or 6 different types of tetras, but I narrowed it down because I thought, "Don't fish only school for protection?". And it's true. Pretty much all tetras will only school when they feel threatened, and if you provide a good environment for them, they won't school. They'll group together. But they won't school.

The only aggression problem that I've ever had in my tank so far with the tetras is one female Phantom getting half it's tail bitten off. I am not sure what fish did this, and I don't know why, but it's only happened once and the fish made a full recovery in 8 days.

Sorry if this was kind of a run on. Just wanted to get my thoughts across. :)

HI everyone,
I'm new here and have some questions about the Von Rio tetras I just bought. But first, some info on my tank:

I have a 38gallon tank with a biowheel filter and a 3' long bubble wall for added aeration. Temperature is 80 degrees, but I plan on decreasing the temperature to 77-78 as soon as my new fish get settled in (probably in another 2 weeks). I also add small amounts of salt (we don't have a water softener).

Current inhabitants:
1 small angelicus loach, 1 gold gourami, 1 small rubbernose pleco, 3 mickey mouse plattys, 2 medium sized mollies and 2 baby mollies...and now the 5 tetras.

I actually almost came home with some drawf plattys but then I saw these tetras and they were so pretty I just had to try them. I'm concerned, though, that my water conditions might be too basic for them.

My tank has been pretty stable for the last year and I haven't lost any fish, but the weird thing is my pH. I had my township test my water and they insisted it tested 7.2. Well, with those test strips you buy, I have *always* gotten readings of at least 8.0! I just bought new test strips and I'm still getting the same results. So, my question is two-fold:

1. Has anyone else ever experienced such strange pH readings?
2. Has anyone successfully kept tetras in a more basic environment? I read on line that they prefer neutral to slightly acidic conditions.

Thanks,
Mel :)

Fish are pretty adaptable, so as long as they are acclimated, they should be alright. Get some drifwood or bogwood, and it will lower your Ph a little bit if your concerned. :)

My water comes out of the tap around 7.5 and I've kept tetras in that and they did fine (Used to have Black Skirts and Serpae tetras in one of my 20's). I've since gotten some drifwood for my oscar tank and its lowered my ph to around 7.2, so it could help to get some.

Woah I really should have ticked the "subscribe to" button. :good:

Anyways, here's a few updates: I now have my first completed shoal of 8 Black Phantom Tetras. The second shoal will consist of neons (probably 12) - cardinals are out the question, local supplier never has any.

For the third shoal, I contemplating Congo's? About 6? Anyone had any good or bad experiences they'd be willing to share?

Chris

One of my Von Rios appears to be having some swim bladder issues. Any recommedations?

Mel

One of my Von Rios appears to be having some swim bladder issues. Any recommedations?

Mel

Most reactions

Back