Temperature Trust

It's the same with any heater, why do they make coolers and stuff? i don't believe that external heat cannot effect the water.

Coolers are for when external heat (ie, room temperature or, more usually, powerful lighting) renders water temperature too high, or when the fish species likes water that is particularly cool.

Heaters have an internal thermostat (for example, a bimetallic strip, although I'm not sure if that is what they usually have) that *thereoretically* turn on when the water is below the specified temperature and switches off when it's above it. Thus maintaining the set temperature. But it isn't exactly a great system; the thermostat can easily get stuck in the 'on' position and cook the fish, turn on at the wrong temperatures etc.

Then so far I have been obviously using crap heaters, brands I thought I could trust. It doesn't happen with any particular type, any heater I've ever used has done that. I've always had to adjust them in summer.
 
It's the same with any heater, why do they make coolers and stuff? i don't believe that external heat cannot effect the water.

Coolers are for when external heat (ie, room temperature or, more usually, powerful lighting) renders water temperature too high, or when the fish species likes water that is particularly cool.

Heaters have an internal thermostat (for example, a bimetallic strip, although I'm not sure if that is what they usually have) that *thereoretically* turn on when the water is below the specified temperature and switches off when it's above it. Thus maintaining the set temperature. But it isn't exactly a great system; the thermostat can easily get stuck in the 'on' position and cook the fish, turn on at the wrong temperatures etc.

Then so far I have been obviously using crap heaters, brands I thought I could trust. It doesn't happen with any particular type, any heater I've ever used has done that. I've always had to adjust them in summer.
i also turn my heater off sometimes in summer so your not the only one mermaidmel!! it gets very warm in my house with sun streaming in so obviuously this will affect water temp.
 
It's the same with any heater, why do they make coolers and stuff? i don't believe that external heat cannot effect the water.

Coolers are for when external heat (ie, room temperature or, more usually, powerful lighting) renders water temperature too high, or when the fish species likes water that is particularly cool.

Heaters have an internal thermostat (for example, a bimetallic strip, although I'm not sure if that is what they usually have) that *thereoretically* turn on when the water is below the specified temperature and switches off when it's above it. Thus maintaining the set temperature. But it isn't exactly a great system; the thermostat can easily get stuck in the 'on' position and cook the fish, turn on at the wrong temperatures etc.

Then so far I have been obviously using crap heaters, brands I thought I could trust. It doesn't happen with any particular type, any heater I've ever used has done that. I've always had to adjust them in summer.
i also turn my heater off sometimes in summer so your not the only one mermaidmel!! it gets very warm in my house with sun streaming in so obviuously this will affect water temp.

Phew, I thought I was going mental tbh! I'm glad someone agrees with me finally :good:
 
What brand of heater is it? My Juwel heater that came with the tank was off by about 4C. I ended up taking it out the tank, putting it in a large bucker of water and 'tweaking' it until the number on the dial was the temp of the water. Basically there was a little screw holding the temp control knob in place. I took the screw out and kept repositioning the knob until the thermometer and heater temps matched just after the heater turned itself off. It seems fine now. The tank stays steady at around 84F (while I cycle the tank).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top