Tell me where to stick my new plants! (behave... ;-) )

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
c.helferi
a.reineckii
l.glandulosa
crypt
53b
View attachment 115967
I meant to come back and thank you for this yesterday, but time got away from me. Thank you!! A lot of what I had in mind, and some other ideas too! I really appreciate you taking the time to do this :friends:

Some of it I've stuck to! Some of it I haven't, lol. Have started planting some things, might leave the alternanthera until tomorrow because it's going to be a fiddly pain in the behind. But I love your layout!

I got lost for a bit there. It's amazing you guys have these plant and their names practically memorized!
My answer would be, "put the smaller one in front of the big one. put the greens anywhere and scatter the red ones" :p
Haha, I'm not that good yet either! See below... ;)
hah, memorize everything!

For me, nope, google, copy and paste are great tools :lol:
Yep, this is my main tool! I know several of the latin names of the most common aquatic plants by sight, but couldn't spell them to save my life and reply on copy paste. I had to copy paste my plant list because no way I'd remember them all. Most of my plants I either know by their common names but have their latin written down somewhere, or I use part of the latin name but can't spell out the whole thing. Limnophilia sessiliflora? I have that now, usually call it sessiliflora, don't know whether I'm spelling that right without looking it up. Wouldn't recognise the latin name for frogbit. Most crypts are just crypts to me, I don't usually know which variety is which.

You pick up some as you go, and most I've only learned because most aquatic suppliers list them by their latin name, so you soak it up as you look around and search for things.
They often get away with bunching everything together as they'll have a posh high tech setup. Plus these tanks they show arent 'real life' as in that theyre often dismantled after a short while (i think?)
This is very true, aquascapers like to show off their new tank scapes and very rarely will they leave tanks for even 6 months then they will do something else entirely with the tank aquascape.

Pretty common misconception that folks think these beautiful aquascapes last forever. But even to run that kind of scape for a few months takes an awful lot of hard work and dedication to keep things just perfect.

Easier to dismantle and do a new aquascape!
True, true! I can't expect my tank to look like something an aquascaper did, with the aid of CO2 :D And yeah, most of the ones we see aren't set up for any longer than six months or so. But there are still gorgeous low tech set ups out there too! I'll give the alternanthera another try, and if it works, great! If not, oh well, will try something else :)

Did another seed sneak into my hygrophilia siamensis 53B? The bit on the right was in the same pot, but looks different. Grown in a greenhouse rather than in a blister pack, so maybe?
DSCF2452.JPG
DSCF2450.JPG

Tank right now, will add the alternanthera either later tonight or tomorrow, then tidy up and refill the tank. I really like the look of the wood piece, but it might drive me too nuts with the way it tangles with the vallis and the frogbit roots, so that might wind up changing down the line.
DSCF2457.JPG

The really good part is that I saw my one remaining blue dream shrimp, and she's berried! Hoping against hope she makes it and has the shrimplets. The shrimp colony needs the boost and the good news.

Did another seed sneak into my hygrophilia siamensis 53B? The bit on the right was in the same pot, but looks different. Grown in a greenhouse rather than in a blister pack, so maybe?
View attachment 116088View attachment 116089

This looks like bacopa monnieri.

I have had this plant before, did not grow particularly well in my tank, quite slow growing and did not spread out much, grew long though.

This looks like bacopa monnieri.

I have had this plant before, did not grow particularly well in my tank, quite slow growing and did not spread out much, grew long though.
Ah, thank you for the ident!

Hey, free plant! It's like a free trial, I get to see how it fares in my tank without having to buy it :D Just read that it's easy, but tends to get leggy in tanks without CO2 or low light, so will see how it does with some harsh pruning. You never know!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back