Targeting Stores

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DrRob

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Can I, again, remind people about the fact that general rule 2 includes the outlawing of posts that are regarded as defamatory.

This includes defaming stores.

There is a huge difference between statements of fact and statements of generalisation.

For example, "I went to Petrubbish and the store in Wonderland had lots of dead fish", is very different to "All of Petrubbish's fish are cared for badly".

The first is a statement of your experience, is a useful review, and is actually a more detailed and useful statement what you're talking about, the second, whilst it may be accurate, could also be viewed as libellous in several legal systems.

Given that we're not particularly keen on libel action, we tend to shut down threads that take the latter approach, it's not that we don't always agree with them, it's just that's what we do.

Please keep threads to the first type, and they'll last longer and I'll have less to do, which is nice.

(Any similarity to stores with names like Petrubbish or in places like Wonderland is entirely coincidental and this in no way denotes any opinion on the fishkeeping practices of such an organisation)

I take it Alice is the manager at Petrubbish in Wonderland?

Anyway, I also had to edit the title of a thread earlier today for the same reason. The actual contents of the thread were acceptable, so I left it open, however I will be keeping an eye on it, in case it goes pear-shaped.

Yes. As we prepare to launch the review section this is why it's so important that we have rules in place, especially ones that give examples of just what we consider proper and improper comments.

tcamos said:
Yes. As we prepare to launch the review section this is why it's so important that we have rules in place, especially ones that give examples of just what we consider proper and improper comments.

EXCITING NEWS

Hey, can I do this if
A) I don't name names
Or
B) no one knows what the hell I'm talking about?

You can do this if you keep to specifics. You're fine to name names, so long as what you say is kept to bare facts.

Try to avoid words like, always, never and all. These things are hard to prove, verging on impossible.

Try to use phrases like I saw, my experience, some of, the one I had and when I was at x. These things represent personal experience and can even be proved sometimes if you took pictures or have an item in question.

tcamos said:

Does that mean we can review certain LFS because if you're unfortunate enough to only have 1 near you, you can warn others lol 

Yes, although it depends on how you word the review, as above.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back