tank water is green

Brian M

Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon tank- water has a green tinge to it-took a sample into 2 pet stores and they told me everything was fine- bought a ph kit which shows dark blue when I do a test-so over 7.6  -have molly's platy's, tiger barbs and neon tetras- the water hasn't been clear in over 2 days and seems to be getting worse- did two 10% water changes and added lots of cycle -also some waste removal- cleaned out entire filter- called aquaclear 300- rinsed out sponge, removed algae- last night but today doesnt seem any better ??? any ideas /??

Ok, don't rinse out the filter stuff as it will cause the tank to do a cycle again!! Unless you rinse it out with aquarium water :)

Are you feeding too much be honest with yourself nitrates caused by fish waste are the algaes source of growth?

Is the tank in the sun?

Do you vacuum your gravel?

Keep doing 20% water change weekly and keep us posted!

William

First you'll need to check your NitrIte. I don't think it can be a right levels.
Your ph sounds high but is not the cause.
What you have is an algae bloom. It's caused buy excessive nutrients in your water.
The cause of this, could be over feeding, to much light i.e. sun liight. Also wastes in your tank can also cause this.

Changing water will only help a very small bit. The best remidy is to rid all waste matter, clean your filter more often (in the correct way, you still need the benifical bacteria) reduce feeding and try to block out sunlight to the tank.

Then time will tell :)

Hey Brian read this article on cycling safely. This will give you some clues as to what to do to remidy the green algae problem you are having. Rose 8)

Most reactions

Back