Tank stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Russ3llk

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on how to decide up my stocking. I currently have a 90G and 180G tanks set up in my living room. I had another tank but it shattered. (Kids+hammer=angry dad) I think I can rehome all 3 tanks into 2 with some planning.
My current plan
90 with 40 G sump: 1x tiger oscar, 1x pleco, 2x severum, 4x rainbow cichlid, 3x red hook silver dollar, 1 bala shark
180 with 2x fx6: 4x severum, 2x geophagus, 6x rainbow cichlid, 5x electric blue acara, 1x pleco, 13x BA tetra

What are your thoughts. The 180 is a blackwater tank with sand and the 90 is river rock.

Can you post the pictures? I'd love to see the tanks.

I like your selection of fish. I'm assuming they are mostly full grown?

The 90 sounds crowded on paper. Maybe Bala shark to 180 and swap oscar and BA tetra. Gets the 2 biggest fish out into a bigger tank and they the BA tetra have to go to the other tank to avoid being eaten by the oscar.

There's quite a lot of fish here for these 2 tanks. You shouldn't have much trouble with aggression, but bio load will be something to pay attention to.

The bioload is the major concern. I am hesitant to move the oscar because of the smaller acara. I was thinking of rehoming the bala just because it doesnt have any schooling mates. He was a toilet rescue from neighbor with a 10g last year.

Oscars arnt very aggressive, unless he can eat the acara whole, it shouldn't be a problem.

It's probably best to re home the Bala.

I would rehome the bala as well, partially the bioload but more because they really do need a large shoal

One thing you have going for you is that just about all of these fish are compatible with eachother.

The oscar and the BA tetras are probably the only fish that shouldn't be in the same tank. That's on paper at least.

Still, this is a lot of fish for 2 tanks.

Most are minus oscar and rainbow cichlids which are still about 2", the sevs are about 6"

After some thought and community input I am thinking:

90: tiger oscar, 2x sev, 2x rainbow cichlid, 1 pleco

180: 4x sev, 2x geophagus, 5x acara, 8x rainbow cichlid

Rehome: 1 bala, 3 silver dollar, 1 pleco, ba tetra

Thoughts?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back