Tank size upgrade / cycling

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Dascud

Reaction score
Iā€™m thinking of upgrading my 240L tank to a 450L tank

Current 240L tank I use a fluval 307 canister (90-330L capacity). Does a great job with super clear water and great parameters.

Thinking of buying a 2nd Fluval 307 canister and running 2 of them side by side in the 450L (plenty of filter cover for that volume of water I believe)

Question is, how long do you think Iā€™d have to run the new filter canister with the new tank before I can transfer the fish and my current 307 canister with mature media?

Would it be possible to do straight away with the 1 mature filter? Would it cope whist the new filter canister caught up/matured?

Thoughts welcomed

Iā€™m thinking of upgrading my 240L tank to a 450L tank

Current 240L tank I use a fluval 307 canister (90-330L capacity). Does a great job with super clear water and great parameters.

Thinking of buying a 2nd Fluval 307 canister and running 2 of them side by side in the 450L (plenty of filter cover for that volume of water I believe)

Question is, how long do you think Iā€™d have to run the new filter canister with the new tank before I can transfer the fish and my current 307 canister with mature media?

Would it be possible to do straight away with the 1 mature filter? Would it cope whist the new filter canister caught up/matured?

Thoughts welcomed
um, i don't understand, just cycle it with the mature media, wait 2 weeks, test,
if test is good add fish

um, i don't understand, just cycle it with the mature media, wait 2 weeks, test,
if test is good add fish
Well the mature media (old filter) will be with the fish in the 220L tank and that size filter isnā€™t big enough for a 450L tank

Well the mature media (old filter) will be with the fish in the 220L tank and that size filter isnā€™t big enough for a 450L tank
ah, just put the old filter in there and swish some of the rotten stuff into the new tank, add the filter and just let the rot grow in the new filter until all params are good. id do 2 week to a month to be sure it is good.
i upgraded from a 15 gallon to 75g first i put the old filter media in, added bacteria starter, and added live plants, tested it a few times, over 2 weeks moved in the fish and it went well :)
other than that yeah buy a bigger filter and let cycle both
first put the conditioner in or it will kill the rotting stuff with bacteria

ah, just put the old filter in there and swish some of the rotten stuff into the new tank, add the filter and just let the rot grow in the new filter until all params are good. id do 2 week to a month to be sure it is good.
i upgraded from a 15 gallon to 75g first i put the old filter media in, added bacteria starter, and added live plants, tested it a few times, over 2 weeks moved in the fish and it went well :)
other than that yeah buy a bigger filter and let cycle both
first put the conditioner in or it will kill the rotting stuff with bacteria
I was thinking Iā€™d transfer some media to the new filter to kick start it

hope all goes well! (did you mean to quote me?)
it will be 2x faster but still wait a month, to be safe, some cycles are not stable and are weak so you'll have to wait for it to strengthen :)

hope all goes well! (did you mean to quote me?)
it will be 2x faster but still wait a month, to be safe, some cycles are not stable and are weak so you'll have to wait for it to strengthen :)
Cheers. On my mobile and if I click reply it quotes. Pain in the ass this forum on my mobile lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back