Tank Size For Oscar Fish And Plecs Opinions Please?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jenjen_82

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Somebody I know has a 4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft tank which I worked out to be 56 gallons (i think) and in it he has 1 10inch tiger Oscar fish and 2 plecs 1 being over a foot long and the other is about 8 inch. He said his filter filters 20 times the amount of water in his tank and he does water changes every 2 weeks but has to clean the poo off the bottom of his tank daily. Forgive me if I am wrong but is this tank far too small for the fish he has got and shouldn't his filter clean the poo a bit better then it is? I'm out to prove a point as he reckons the tank is big enough and he also told me I don't need 5 types of media in the external filters??

5 x 2 x 2 minimum IMO. I had three oscars, a syno and a gren terror in an 8 x 3 x 2. Most boring tank ever but mainly because i hate oscars lol.

They are filthy fish... but probably over fed as well. Plecs are also really messy and they get way too big for that tank! He is over stocked and probably got wrong filtration.

Too small and prolly doesn't filter enough

Sounds too small to me with those size fish, the plecs barely have room to turn around.
He also needs to be doing weekly if not bi weekly water changes

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back