tank cycled?

Briarmoor

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
The 10 gallon has been going for about 3 weeks. Readings are: Nitrate between 30-40, nitrate maybe .25 (way down from where it was), GH about 100, KH about 100, pH about 7.4.

I wonder if the tank has cycled or I have made so many water changes that the readings are "artificial", except I don't think the nitrates would still be up and not the nitrites if it was just because of water changes? I have not added any chemicals except the dechlorinator for the changes.

Did the 50% change 3 days ago and took out about 10% last night as I vacuumed. What do you guys think? Fish are happy.

Pam in TN

There is a spelling mistake somewhere, I presume it's your nitrites that are at 0.25.

What about your amonia readings.

Sorry for the delay, I forgot where I put this post. :S

Okay, here are the levels today:

Nitrate - 40
Nitrite - 0
GH - 75 (down)
KH - 60 (down)
pH - 7.4

I did a separate kit on ammonia and it is still about .25.

I left a piece of zucchini in the tank overnight but will remove it once otto gets off it. I read that could rot in there and release decay chemicals into the tank. I am trying to be careful about excess food, but some gets in the gravel where the corys can't get it.

So is it cycled? Should I worry at all about the nitrates still a little high? Ammonia has been same level for 3 days, will it ever get down to 0?

Pam in TN

Ammonia reading says other wise. No you're not cycled, but you are VERY close. My tank is doing something similar... It completely skipped nitrites, which is odd b/c nitrite-nitrate is the longest phase. But any way, the tank (mine) has been cycling for approx 3 weeks as well, so maybe I tested after the nitrite-nitrate phase. Who knows? Sorry, I'm rambling....

Yours nitrates aren't that high some people cant get theirs below that mark. water changes will rerduce them a bit for you.

You are just about cycled, you could and some water conditioner just to boost it and get that beneficial bacteria increased.

If you are worried about nitrates - do a nitrate test on ordinary tap water. Our tap water is on 10 so we basically use that as the base reading in the tank as we obviously can't get it lower! It's worth it simply because if you are aiming for zero nitrates than you will never succeed if the tap water level is higher than that :D

And I agree with the other peeps, if your nitrite reading is zero then that's great but don't just test the once - obviously. We have started a new bigger tank about 4 weeks ago with filter media/water from existing tank and the readings have been all over the place - we think we've cracked it one day and then the next the readings are up again.

Good luck

Most reactions

Back