Taking Great Fish Photos (How To)

testing:

Attachments

• 100_0087.jpg
    100_0087.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 260
So are you saying the professional look is the fish in focus and the background out of focus or both fish and background in focus? Its relatively easy to achive either one you want by adjusting your fstop for depth of field and then adjusting shutter speed to compensate.

I prefer the portrait style of fish photography where you get the fish perfect but the background is blurry.

like this
DSC01528.jpg

or this
DSC01480.jpg

But with a change in depth of field you can get this
DSC00494.jpg

not so sure about the 'pro' look i think each pic has to be judged on its merits and for what it is meant to be...
those pics are fantastic, whether you want the background sharp or blurred will depend as much on what is in the background as what you want it to look like..
another important factor to good fish photography as displayed in your pictures is clear water and clean glass :)

So are you saying the professional look is the fish in focus and the background out of focus or both fish and background in focus? Its relatively easy to achive either one you want by adjusting your fstop for depth of field and then adjusting shutter speed to compensate.

I prefer the portrait style of fish photography where you get the fish perfect but the background is blurry.

IMO the professional look is with the fish in sharp focus and the background blurred in portrait style :) In a fish tank, if it is clearly in captivity, I prefer not to have the background in foucs, but in my own pics, I try to make it look like a natural scene, so having the background in focus isnt such a big deal :)

Great pics BTW :thumbs:

Ken

Ok i have a kodak easyshare dx6340 its 3.1 mp and has 4x Optical Zoom but I don't know how to just focus on the fish like that and have the background out of focus like that gourami. So I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me any advise? Remeber I'm new to taking good pics so yeah... :)

THX

good topic to bump - i was getting a bit brassed off with my out of focus piccys.

fish_r_great said:
Ok i have a kodak easyshare dx6340 its 3.1 mp and has 4x Optical Zoom but I don't know how to just focus on the fish like that and have the background out of focus like that gourami. So I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me any advise? Remeber I'm new to taking good pics so yeah... :)

THX
It has to do with your depth of field setting. my camera (Sony DSC-F717) has an adjustable F-Stop so I can set my depth of field. Yours may have a similar function if not it may have a portrait mode which normally will set a shallow depth of field.

I have something called PAS mode. Which allows you to manuall control exposure compensation and then according to the manual the camera automativally sets the f-stop based on the scene lighting. Is this what you are talking about? :nod: or :no:

Ok i have a kodak easyshare dx6340 its 3.1 mp and has 4x Optical Zoom but I don't know how to just focus on the fish like that and have the background out of focus like that gourami. So I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me any advise? Remeber I'm new to taking good pics so yeah...

THX

Does the camera have a 'portrait' mode? It has an icon which should look like a face. This will try to use the largest aperature possible, given the amount of light.

If your camera lets you use 'Aperture priority' then use this mode, setting the aperature to its largest without the shutter speed being too slow, which could lead to over-exposure.

The portrait mode should do this for you, but may lead to blurry pics if the fish move quickly, or if you dont have steady hands :)

Ken

Holy crap, Sky042! You rival FreshMike! All I got is a FujiFilm FinePix A205. It's not much, but I guess I'll make due since it didn't cost me anything.

Any advice for taking pictures of fish that are always swimming fast.. Like danios?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back