T12 Lights... Any Good Or Should I Just Run Away?

watertown28

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
LOL like everyone else, I am always looking to save a few bucks. My 72 gallon did not come with a light fixture. So I got this great idea to use a shop light to light the thing. Yeah 10 bucks for a 2 bulb setup that does not look awesome from the outside... but its what is in the tank IMO that counts. I can not justify the whole extra money for an "aquarium" light. Plus its money saved to buy another big tank soon anyways.

With that said, I bought my first 2 plants for the tank. One is some random one that was beat up pretty bad and I got it for 50 cents... he just wanted it gone. I figured why not. The next is a nicely grown Moneywort plant, I swear its close to a foot and a half tall.

Now what I am using is the hop light with 2x 32w T8 bulbs.
Lumens 2700.0
Light Color Daylight
Color Temperature (Kelvins) 6500.0

Is this ideal? I have read where WPG is not something you can go by.

Now the reason why I ask about the T12 is because most shop lights take those too. I can not find a 48 inch one that takes t5. So I am left looking at either T8 or T12.. I have not seen anything on T12 Bulbs. Now using the WPG ( which I have seen that is not something to just use to decide on a light ) you can get them in 40 watts instead of the 32 watts like the T8's. They also have the same color temp as the T8's at 6500K, just more watts....so could I use them?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back