Swordtail/Platy Cross Breeding with a Swordtail

Sasha

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
:/ Is it possible for a male swordtail/platy cross to breed with a female swordtail? My female swordtail delivered two batches of fry (I was only able to save one fry from each batch) about a month apart with no male swordtail in the tank. Two months later, I moved her from my 29 gallon into my 46 gallon. I noticed that my male swordtail/platy showed a little intrest in her and kept following after her. :fish: A few weeks later, I noticed that the female swordtail was pregnant, but there was no male swordtail in the tank . . . only the swordtail/platy cross. Like before, her surprise and sudden delivery kept me from finding more than one fry which I named Promise. Is it possible the father is the swordtail/platy cross? -_- I'm just curious! :rolleyes:

I believe female swords can store a males "seed" for up to 6 monthes. They usually give birth every 4-5 weeks. Thats why people with females only in their tank will report fry long after there hasn't been a male in the tank.

My guess is the the pure sword is the papa. :)

:thumbs: Thanks! I have one male swordtail/platy cross and he's a beautiful cherry red with black markings on his fins. He's longer than a platy, but has a wider body than a swordtail. I suspect that he breed with my female swordtail because the one orange fry that I managed to captune looks like a platy a bit. I guess I'll have to wait and see what she looks like when she grows up. :fish:

Most reactions

Back