Swordtail! Advice Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rossyboy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi, i purchased a swordtail today, one male, one female.

The storekeeper said the female is heavily pregnant, with no more than a week to go.

I've brought her home and done as she said, placed her in the breeder tank on her own. She's now hidden around the back of the plants in a dark area, next to the heater. Also, her fins are flapping quite franticly. Just wanted to know if this is a sign she's due?

Also, i can't confirm this but my housemates been checking up on her every so often and she thinks she saw some white/murky liquid come out of her 'exit' area and disperse into the water?

Thanks in advance :)

well fish fry are like human babies they will come when they are ready lol Well yes that can be a sign that she is about to produce her fry and they can have like a watery poo :blink: has she gone off her food as that can also be a sign but not always my fish eat like pigs all the time lol just sit tight it will happen just keep checking on her keep an eye out as she may eat her fry also

Good luck :good:

OK yes.

She's eating like a pig so no probs there.

Also just one question she's very jumpy? If sum1's in the room she'll go hide at the back in the plants? Is this normal!?

I would take you guys a pic so you could perhaps judge for me, but shes way too jumpy for it.

OK yes.

She's eating like a pig so no probs there.

Also just one question she's very jumpy? If sum1's in the room she'll go hide at the back in the plants? Is this normal!?

I would take you guys a pic so you could perhaps judge for me, but shes way too jumpy for it.

Well it can be quite normal,she could just be a nervous fish does she get picked on at all? Not by you lol by any other fish,does she have any plants or ornaments to hide in,if not you could get some that will help her feel more secure in the tank

Yer well like i say, it's from a LFS as pregnant yesterday. In the tank she was taken from she was 1 of 10 females and 1 male. I've now got the male in my community tank with other various fish, and she's in her own breeder tank with various plants, floating plants etc.

So eventually she will return to the male who she seemed to get on with. In the pet store, she was the biggest of all the females (not just because she was pregnant) so i don't know about her being picked on?

Anyway... is there anything i could put in there with her to keep her company? I am presuming not though as they would just eat her fry!

do you mean other types of fish? If so you can get some neon tetras or guppies,the fry should be safe enough as you say they have plants in there to hide in,to be honest i wouldn't worry about her im sure she'll be fine :good:

i just got a very pregnant female green sword today.have you got babies yet???

Take a pic and show me it, i will be able to tell you roughly when she will drop her fry ;)

Also, i suggest this to everyone cos its done me well in the past.... get a couple of female endlers, and put them in the breeding tank (with no males) this will be some nice company for her and the endlers will not touch her fry.

Most reactions

trending

Back