Super Guppy

saltynay

Patron
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
2,514
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Singapore
My heavily pregnant guppy lapiz lazul decided earlier that she fancied some live food for a change so took it upon herself to jump over my DIY filter/ moss wall to where all the shrimp that are too small to come out to play hide. She was behind there for about half an hour before I decided that she wasn't going to come out of her own accord and fetched her out.

About 20 minutes later I heard a plop sound like a fish jumping so turned around had a quick look in the tank and again lapiz lazul was missing I assumed she had jumped back behind the filter so got back to what I was doing thinking I could catch her later. 5 minutes pass and I decide to check the tank still no lapiz so move the whole thing around so that I can see behind the filter again no lapiz so now I am getting a little worried. Turns out she had missed the 1inch gap that she has to aim for if she wants to jump over the filter sponge and had fallen to the floor behind around a metre drop. Found her covered in fluff behind the stand and she had been down there for 7 mins (I was cooking dinner so checking the time everytime I sat back at my desk incase I had to run downstairs and shuffle some pots and pans so know the exact amount of time). She is absolutely fine and swimming back around the tank as if nothing has happened that is one super fish imo.
 
hopefully she is a little wiser now after an experience like that.
one of my bettas jumped to her neighbors side, she got the crap beaten out of her. she hasn't jumped again since.
i would secrue a lid of some sort to keep your little guppy from jumping again, just in case she forgets.
i would also use a precautionary dose of melafix, just because i am hyper over cautious with fish who hit the floor.
 
lol

I had a similar prob a few weeks back. I was working nights and my partner had opened the tank lid for some reason and my 5" bala shark decided to go for an outing lol, it jumped out of the tank, about 1.5 metre onto the floor and was wriggling about. My partner panicked cos she thought it would bite her lol DOH! :/

Eventually she managed to get it to jump into a net and put it back in the tank, the day after it developed white spot, probably from the stress but it soon cleared up after a few doses of protozin and is now swimming around happily again :D

Andy
 
I think she is a secret superhero due to her ability to hold her breath for that long without a labrinth organ.
 
mmh good point.. can fish with labyrinth's live out out water? i have never thought of that before :unsure:
 
they can, there enemy is drying out. if they dry out they are dead, but they can live out of water for a short time.
 
yes i know wat a horibl death drying up

ive had that happen recently

lost 2 galaxy rasboras and a botia striata

found them dried up next to the work top beside theyre tanks

horrible way to die! :sick:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top