Sudden random mystery deaths

AndyN

Reaction score
Hiya!
I recently installed an airstone after reporting that new fish were gulping for air at the top of the tank. This solved the problem and now the fish look very happy. My tank is overcrowded, but I am keeping an eye on nitrate/ammonia levels (which are currently fine), and planning to move some fish to another tank anyway.
HOWEVER......

Suddenly in the last few days, fish have started to suddenly die, a cichlid, a couple of guppies. Yesterday I saw a Zebra Danio swimming badly. When I looked closer, I could see a furry white covering on the top and one side of his body. a Couple of hours later he was dead. the white stuff must have formed quickly as I swear I didn't see it the previous day! Then, this morning, another guppy and a rosy barb are dead. I also can't see my black shark, which I swear I saw a white blob on his gill yesterday....

any ideas?

Overstocking causes desease, for the fungus if it's not bad good water quality and salt can clear it up, or anti fungus treatment but if they have been gasping the med not going to help much, unless you can issolate the fish for treatment.

Hi,
I used some anti-fungus treatment as advised. Many fish are dying, so I hope it kicks in ASAP! Have also added a bit of Aquarium salt. My biggest plecostomus has lots of patches all over his body, including his eyes. Does anybody know if the Fungus treatment will save him?

thanks

If they are white patches on the body it sounds like columnaris, use an anti internal bacteria med with salt, also the eye could be the second infection, I would act fast as this desease get the fish fast.

Most reactions

Back