Successful breeding of Gymnogeophagus Terrapurpurra!!! (Plus a small article)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I Like Rare Fish

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi guys, I got a successful breeding Gymnogeophagus Terrapurpurra. They are in a patio tank, and I have been stressing about this for a while now. Out of the 6 I have, 2 paired up 2 weeks ago, and the mom has guarded the eggs in the corner of the tank until a couple days ago. I noticed she moved guarding spots a little, and because gymnos are substrate brooders, that’s odd. I noticed them today, and I’m so excited!

Gymnogeophagus are a genus of fish native to Uruguay, southern Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay. Because of their southern range, they thrive in outdoor ponds and tanks. They enjoy winter cool downs, and can even survive under then layers of ice. They slow their metabolism down, so you only feed once every couple days during the winter. Late spring and early summer is when they pair up. They stay paired for life. They spawn 3 times per summer, and have up to 150 fry. Tell-tell signs of pairing include a black throat, commanding demeanor towards other fish, and heavy territorial aggression.

When mine paired, I noticed that 4 were pushed in 1/3 of the 55g tank I have. Once they have eggs, the female keeps all fish (including dithers) away. The male punishes any gymno that comes within 1/2 the tank of her.

These first time parents are actually great. The female stayed with the eggs the whole time. 2 weeks later I noticed that she was drifting away from where she normally guards. I found fry.

Gymnogeophagus Terrapurpurra we’re described in 2016, but they have become very wide spread. Not much of the behavior is known or put online, so I am going to take care of these fish based off of other peoples experience.

So excited to share this with you, and I hope you follow me in this incredible journey!

Finally, pictures!! Also, I got a video of them!
5C16C4AB-BD6A-4D0D-B800-0B16AAA41A33.jpeg
70BE7257-5AE8-4C21-85F4-B52EDAEEC946.jpeg

They’ve moved up in the middle level. Mom stays at the heart of the food. I haven’t seen them eat, but I am going to let the parents feed them detritus for now.

3 spawns later. First two weren’t a succes. For the third spawn I tried moving to breeding box, but the fry were too small. They’ve been in the tank without dithers for 5 weeks, and there are around 40 left. In the second picture the mom is showing aggression to ME!
8F1F26E1-5C38-405E-87E8-1D759B273721.jpeg
F7D83866-83F4-4FB2-94E4-5F3F87330B37.jpeg

Congratulations!

Congrats!!!! Is that only me, or do they really look like bolivian rams?!

These beauties dropped some eggs yesterday! Super cool fish. I keep them in an outdoor 55 gallon in Oregon. I do put a heater in there on the coldest weeks of the winter. I did kill one in a smaller unheated water garden last winter, must've been too cold.
View attachment 164553View attachment 164554View attachment 164555View attachment 164556
Cool that you can see them! Gymnos are substrate spawners, and most of the time you can’t see the eggs. Good on you!

I have about 2 dozen fry left.

Cool that you can see them! Gymnos are substrate spawners, and most of the time you can’t see the eggs. Good on you!

I have about 2 dozen fry left.
super cool, they courted for many days, staked out that spot and dug a couple baskets in the sand and gravel. Checked last night and I thought they were eating the eggs, but they were picking them off the wood and moving them to the gravel. In the right light I can see them wiggling around in there. I’m not even sure which is the male and which is the female. The one I thought was the male is more colorful smaller and doing almost all the nesting.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back