Substitute for Topfin brand filter cartridge?

fishtime!

Reaction score
Hello! I have a topfin 10 power filter, which is "only compatible" with the topfin brand cartridges like these . I don't have a petsmart near me, and I really need a filter change ASAP - can i use any other similar cartridges I could find at petco? Thanks!

Replace them with sponge cut to the size of a cartridge. Cut the cartridge open and empty out the carbon, then put the bag part back in the filter with the sponge held tightly against it. If there's more than one cartridge, wait a few weeks before doing the next one.

These cartridges are a money spinner for the manufacturer. carbon is not needed full time in a fish tank - it's main uses are to remove medication after treating sick fish. Sponges will last for years before they need replacing; they just need squeezing in old tank water removed at a water change to clean them.

Replace them with sponge cut to the size of a cartridge. Cut the cartridge open and empty out the carbon, then put the bag part back in the filter with the sponge held tightly against it. If there's more than one cartridge, wait a few weeks before doing the next one.

These cartridges are a money spinner for the manufacturer. carbon is not needed full time in a fish tank - it's main uses are to remove medication after treating sick fish. Sponges will last for years before they need replacing; they just need squeezing in old tank water removed at a water change to clean them.
thanks!!

so any sponge like this one: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-2-pack-filter-sponges-2441408

would work?

As suggested above, you can replace the cartridge with a modified, non-disposable version of your own creation. The one shown below is for a Penguin 350 filter (images at bottom left and center). However, through the years, I have done similar modifications for friends, on a number of brands of filters that used cartridges (Emperor, Whisper, Aqueon, Topfin, Tetra, etc.).
You will not need to purchase cartridges ever again!!!
Penguin 350 filter set-up comp.jpg

As suggested above, you can replace the cartridge with a modified, non-disposable version of your own creation. The one shown below is for a Penguin 350 filter (images at bottom left and center). However, through the years, I have done similar modifications for friends, on a number of brands of filters that used cartridges (Emperor, Whisper, Aqueon, Topfin, Tetra, etc.).
You will not need to purchase cartridges ever again!!!
View attachment 310454
thanks very much!

Hello! I have a topfin 10 power filter, which is "only compatible" with the topfin brand cartridges like these . I don't have a petsmart near me, and I really need a filter change ASAP - can i use any other similar cartridges I could find at petco? Thanks!
hello if you have the PF10 from top fin I have the same one I would recommend getting the sponge and this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006JLO5K/?tag=ff0d01-20

as well I use a sponge and these bio rings all you do is when you change water keep the dirty water squeeze the sponge a couple times then rub the bio rings.

hello if you have the PF10 from top fin I have the same one I would recommend getting the sponge and this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006JLO5K/?tag=ff0d01-20

as well I use a sponge and these bio rings all you do is when you change water keep the dirty water squeeze the sponge a couple times then rub the bio rings.
This is what I mean this is my second 10gallon with a cartridge in my other I have a sponge where the cartridge is also I dont change my cartridge I just rinse it.

Attachments

• 43158198-DFCC-48D1-80DE-E226C57CDF67.jpeg
    43158198-DFCC-48D1-80DE-E226C57CDF67.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 35

Most reactions

Back