AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
3x Fish of the Month 🌟
4x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
20210731_113849.jpg
20210731_113900.jpg

Anyone know what kind of algae this is (red beard algae possibly??) and the best method on getting rid of it?

Not sure of the cause, only purchased the tank thursday. Maybe a light issue (t5's 1 white /1 blue which i will be changing) but not sure how long the previous owner had the lights on per day etc.

I cleaned the tank before i set it up with water/bleach solution, hosed down then air dried. Didnt see the algae until this morning and it now seems to be spreading.

Ive tried scrubing it off but it hardly does anything.

Currently no fish so the light is off

So you've acquired a tank with resident algae?
Your choice of keeping the light off is a good one, but don't forget that ambient daylight will need to be prevented from entering the tank. Any algae will just gobble that up.

So you've acquired a tank with resident algae?
Your choice of keeping the light off is a good one, but don't forget that ambient daylight will need to be prevented from entering the tank. Any algae will just gobble that up.
Yes thats correct, i didnt spot the algae when i viewed the tank but obviously give it a deep clean before use and was quite surpised to see it this morning.

Would you suggest covering the tank with a sheet/cover aswel then?

Yes thats correct, i didnt spot the algae when i viewed the tank but obviously give it a deep clean before use and was quite surpised to see it this morning.

Would you suggest covering the tank with a sheet/cover aswel then?
The closest you can get to a total blackout, for a period of time, the better.
Of course, I'm sure strong algaecides still exist that you could use. ;)

If you intend making this a tank with live plants, then getting control of the black brush algae (yes, that is what this is) is important. But if no plants, I would leave it; algae is normal and part of a healthy biological system. It is only when it over-runs plants, in time killing them, that it is problematic. Algae is caused by nutrients and light.

If you intend making this a tank with live plants, then getting control of the black brush algae (yes, that is what this is) is important. But if no plants, I would leave it; algae is normal and part of a healthy biological system. It is only when it over-runs plants, in time killing them, that it is problematic. Algae is caused by nutrients and light.
Not sure if im adding substrate plants yet but i was thinking of adding water sprite for cover.

Its going to be a breeding tank so ive only add hardscape (river rock/driftwood) so far with some almond leaves on order.

Its just unsightly being pink on a black background. Hopefully get it under control before i introduce the fish

Not sure if im adding substrate plants yet but i was thinking of adding water sprite for cover.

Its going to be a breeding tank so ive only add hardscape (river rock/driftwood) so far with some almond leaves on order.

Its just unsightly being pink on a black background. Hopefully get it under control before i introduce the fish

OK. The Water Sprite floating will be very beneficial for water quality. You will have to watch the light/nutrient balance then.

I wondered about the pink, that is due to the lighting. Which may have issues for plants. What is the spectrum?

Black Brush Algae is actually a red algae scientifically, but it can appear black, very dark brown, dark grey, and what I suppose one would call red though it is very dark (close to black). But not pink, so that is the light.

OK. The Water Sprite floating will be very beneficial for water quality. You will have to watch the light/nutrient balance then.

I wondered about the pink, that is due to the lighting. Which may have issues for plants. What is the spectrum?

Black Brush Algae is actually a red algae scientifically, but it can appear black, very dark brown, dark grey, and what I suppose one would call red though it is very dark (close to black). But not pink, so that is the light.
Not sure me using the water/bleach solution when cleaning the tank may have turn the algae from black to pink/purple?? It is purple in natural light now.

Not sure on spec on the blubs. Cant see a kelvin rating(just says 400 lumens) They are juwel 45w t5's with one being blue. Ive ordered new replacements for these as i know the blue isnt whats i needed.

Not sure me using the water/bleach solution when cleaning the tank may have turn the algae from black to pink/purple?? It is purple in natural light now.

Not sure on spec on the blubs. Cant see a kelvin rating(just says 400 lumens) They are juwel 45w t5's with one being blue. Ive ordered new replacements for these as i know the blue isnt whats i needed.

The bleach cleaning may be it. If the Kelvin is in the 5000K to 6500K range, you're fine on light.

20210801_183947.jpg

All is blacked out! Hopefully starving the algae of light for 2 or 3 days will help get it off the background. 🤞

New lights should be here by then so i can add the floating plants etc :)

Black out thankfully worked and the black brush algae just come away from the background with ease :)

Did a big water change and popped some leaf litter and water sprite in and moved my Ellioti pair over last night once everything had settled 🙂

Cheers guys

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back