Strange Question About My Syrian Hammie

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bubblej17

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi all ok this is gonna sound odd i think, but anyway i bought my syrian hammie about 4months ago now and called him harry about two days after we got him my other hammie got sick so spent most of my spare time nursing her unfortunatly she passed away only last week after a very long ending, so now my harry has all my attention and he loves it i bought him a play ball a few days ago and put him in it he loved it and the cat enjoyed been run over by him lol, but today i put him in it and i noticed he was shaking i thought he would be ok but he went once around the room and when he came back to my feet i smelt this awful smell i thought he had just peed but on closer inspection it was like a blob of mucus in his ball i removed harry and put him back, the smell was horrific was this wee or did my hammie get over excited in his ball? i've never ever smelt anything like it after having a male and female hammies before, has anyone else expierenced this or similar,
im just curious as to what this was thats all, thanks in advance

This could really be a number of things im afriad!
have you got pictures of the hamster??
i would prefer to see the appearance if you can get a shot from the side and a shot from above that would really help....
This mucus could be diohrea, dont feed him anything else exept his normal hamster food(no veggies)
for a week, make sure he can access his water ok, as diorhea can make your hamster can dehydrate!

The other probablem could be wet tail (like diorhea but alot worse),
not all of these symptoms below occour....

"Wet Tail is a bacterial infection or an imbalance of the natural bacteria in the hamster's stomach or intestine and is often confused with diarrhoea. Although a hamster with Wet Tail has diarrhoea, the diarrhoea is so severe that the hamster is wet and/or dirty not only around the anus but usually around the top of the tail as well. The diarrhoea is accompanied by a strong unpleasant smell. Droppings are pale in colour and extremely soft and may contain mucus. The hamster often walks hunched up, is weak and lethargic and may squeal in pain."

If this sounds like it?!?
Please get your hamster to the vet please
The hamster will begin to deteriorate it may just dehidrate and die of thirst, or sometimes the diohrea causes the hamster to get a prolaped gut...(not pretty)
meanwhile keep him warm....
make sure his bottle is accessable....
Wet tail is contagious and will affect any other hamster near by....
try not to handle the hamster to much too

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, i lost my hamster this way...
:(

i would prefer to see the appearance if you can get a shot from the side and a shot from above that would really help....
This mucus could be diohrea, dont feed him anything else exept his normal hamster food(no veggies)
for a week, make sure he can access his water ok, as diorhea can make your hamster can dehydrate!

"Wet Tail is a bacterial infection or an imbalance of the natural bacteria in the hamster's stomach or intestine and is often confused with diarrhoea. Although a hamster with Wet Tail has diarrhoea, the diarrhoea is so severe that the hamster is wet and/or dirty not only around the anus but usually around the top of the tail as well. The diarrhoea is accompanied by a strong unpleasant smell. Droppings are pale in colour and extremely soft and may contain mucus. The hamster often walks hunched up, is weak and lethargic and may squeal in pain."

The hamster will begin to deteriorate it may just dehidrate and die of thirst, or sometimes the diohrea causes the hamster to get a prolaped gut...(not pretty)

hi thanks for your very informative info, thats something i didnt know, but my harry is totally fine he's active not got a wet tail eats only his normal food anyway now and again he'll have dried fruit he wakes up for drinks so the bottle is well positioned, his cage doesnt smell and is very clean he isnt hunched when walking, his poop is a dark colour and is generally happy in himself, so im hoping its safe to say he doest have this wet tail thing, and was just a one off, could he of been scared of his new toy or excited of his new toy?
i will try to get pics on here asap

hi thanks for your very informative info, thats something i didnt know, but my harry is totally fine he's active not got a wet tail eats only his normal food anyway now and again he'll have dried fruit he wakes up for drinks so the bottle is well positioned, his cage doesnt smell and is very clean he isnt hunched when walking, his poop is a dark colour and is generally happy in himself, so im hoping its safe to say he doest have this wet tail thing, and was just a one off, could he of been scared of his new toy or excited of his new toy?
i will try to get pics on here asap
sounds fine then how bizarre!
Most likely stress then...
cant wait for pics :)

My other halfs syrian got wet tail.

We caught it early and with daily baths in warm water to scrub her backside she was ok. We DID go to the vets and get some wide band antibiotics that must have helped too.

If you leave a hamster with wet tail alone in a tank it wil most likley die! Clean them, make sure they are drinking and give it time. Smudge spent 10 days on the drops and it probably took 20 days for her to recover fully.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back