stocking sudgestions

_]im

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new 10 gallon Im working on. Now I want to have a black convict chichilid and was wondering what i could put around it for a tank to be full? any sudgestions?

as well, i was wondering if it is too much to overstock with 6 cory cats (3 albino and 3 peppered) and 2 mollies? i would that thats around 10'' of fish but im not sure.

And finally I have fry coming and i have a net to hold them in within one of my tanks, if you could look at my sigs nad my purposed tanks, which one would the fry be best off in? I'm quite sure the chichilid would try and pick at the fry all day (they're molly fry)

Thanks for any help!

I have a new 10 gallon Im working on. Now I want to have a black convict chichilid and was wondering what i could put around it for a tank to be full? any sudgestions?

Convict are rather aggressive and I doubt there's another cichlid that could fit in that tank with it. You could try a couple of fast moveing rosy barbs but the convict would eventualy kill them and you'd be slightly over-stocked.

as well, i was wondering if it is too much to overstock with 6 cory cats (3 albino and 3 peppered) and 2 mollies? i would that thats around 10'' of fish but im not sure.

The 6 cory cats each grow up to 3 inches so thats 18 inches already. The 2 mollies can get up to 4 inches (the larger ones anyway) and 3 inches is common - that's 26 inches :) I would say that's over-stocked...
Remember to calculate using adult sizes - whether you plan to upgrade the tank or not should play no part in your stocking scheme.
BTW, you don't mean WITH the convict do you?
3 cories and 2 platies or guppies (they are smaller) would be a more realistic combination for a 10 gallon... Of course there are hundreds of other possibilities.

And finally I have fry coming and i have a net to hold them in within one of my tanks, if you could look at my sigs nad my purposed tanks, which one would the fry be best off in? I'm quite sure the chichilid would try and pick at the fry all day (they're molly fry)

Put them in with the 3 peppered cories and 2 white mollies but get rid of them soon or you'll be majorly over-stocked... Yes the cichlid will pick on the fry. If you want to put them in one of the planned tanks though, put them in with the convict. The survivors can then be re-homed or you'll end up over-stocking ALL of the tanks with the growing fry.

A black convict needs at least 25gals, so no I wouldn't get one, also by your stock I wouldn't add anymore if you have fry on the way.

Most reactions

Back