stocking query

pinky

Reaction score
I really would like to get some tiger barbs. I know they are fin nippers and I cannot put them in my guppy/danioe tank but was wondering whether they would be compatible with my other tank's inhabitants.

I have two 3 inch Balas, dwarf gouramis, buenes aires tetras (2 inch) black widow tetras (2 inch) 3 platys and two frogs.

I have worked out that i do have room but would the barbs work with that mix. If not I could move some fish out to other tank if necessary.

If not possible due to current stock then never mind. I will just have to save up for yet another tank HEE HEE!!

Only obvious thing is that they might nip at the platy, but I don't know. Other than that... ok, maybe...

How big is your tank?
How many tetras do you have?
How many gourami?
What kind of frogs?

i have 7 danios and my tiger barbs dont bother them at all i want to add some guppies but my lfs doesnt advise it do u think i have enough room in my tank and plenty of cover the gupies wont be bothered??

If you had lots of cover, including live plants, and 8 tiger barbs instead of 3? Eh... still probably not.

Guppies and tiger barbs just don't go together... You could get lucky, but I don't generally count on the exception.

tstenback said:
I have had tiger barbs nip the "Feelers" almost completely down to nothing on a pearl gourami before so that may be something else to watch out for.
I kept barbs with my golden gourami at one point and they were fine together. But IMO it depends on the size of tank, how many barbs and how much cover.

Like what the others suggest, as long as the tank is big and has lots of hiding spots then go ahead and try it. I wouldn't buy less than 6 tiger barbs or you'd be asking for trouble.

Most reactions

Back