• Two

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dreworz5

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am considering one of two stocking options....

Scenario 1...

5 Tiger Barbs
2 Corys
1 Bala Shark

Could Tetras geta long with these? cause then I think I would add 3 Black neons

Scenarios 2...

4 Black neons
3 Lemon Teras
2 Corys
1 Bala Shark

Thanks for your opinions

BTW it is a 20 gallon(US).

I plan on setting up a 55 gallon(US) in the spring. Which I would probably end up transfering the Bala Shark to as I understand they grow pretty big and prrefer a lager tank even when they are small.

I was also interested in an otto, but read that they dont do well alone. If i get only one will it be ok??

I chose niether because there are insuffiecent numbers of fish and balas need more than a 55g they need a 125g minimum with at least 3 of them in there. If you went for scenario one you couldn't get the tiger barbs because they are to active for a 20g but you could get 5-7 black widow tetras and 5-6 corys and 2-3 ottos and if you went with secenario 2 you would need at least 5 lemon tetras and at least 5 black neons and at least 4 corys but that would over stock your tank. Then once you get your 55g up and running you could get 4 small angels of the same size then once 2 of them form a pair (become boyfriend and girlfriend) return the other 2 that didn't pair up first because a pair won't tolerate other angels in there tank. Then you could transfer the fish from the 20g into the 55g and get more of each type of fish.

why do you need so many corys?? every body alsway says atleast 4 i used to have 2 and they seemed to do fine.

Well in a 20g there is more bottom space and they would like more friends. 4 would work fine in a 20g but you would need like 6 to 7 in a 55g at least.

Have to agree with Durb there - though I hate to say it :S

Your 20g would make a nice community tank and I suggest that, if it's the neons, lemons and corys you want, that you stick with that. You should be able to have a small shoal of each with no problems - say 10 each of neons and lemons and then at least 6 corys.

All of those fish do prefer to be kept with others of their own kind - the more the merrier really!

You could probably squeeze some otos in as well if you reduce the numbers of the tetras slightly.
:nod:

Hahah

i ahve to agree with every time said above :nod:

-Alex

my tank can only handle 24 inches of fish right?? atleast according to every source ive read. how can i afford to us some much up on corys??

my tank can only handle 24 inches of fish right?? atleast according to every source ive read. how can i afford to us some much up on corys??

It's not what you can afford to do... It's what you should be willing to do in order to keep your fish in the conditions that best suit them. A lot of times people get a tank, and then build around that. Trying to stock it with different types of fish. However, it's much more practical to find fish that you like and build the tank around that one fish. Look at it's water requirements, suitable tankmates, and specific needs. Often times you can't keep two different fish you like together due to aggression issues or whatnot and maybe that's why many of us have several tanks. Each to suit the specific needs of the fish we wish to keep. If you want to keep corys then do what is necessary to make them happy. If you want to keep bala sharks; get a bigger tank. But cater to your fishes likings don't make them sacrifice their livelyhood to cater to you.

The big no-no in either setup is the bala shark. Baka sharks are schooling fish, they grow big, they are highly active. 90 gallons is probably a minimum. And a lonely bala shark is going to be just that-lonely!

Tiger barbs- well, a lot smaller than balas, obviously, but tank is still on the small side; as Durbkat says they are very active.

I think you should go for scenario 3:

5 cories

and either 8 black neons

or 6 lemon tetras

You could perhaps cut down the number of cories to 3, and have two small schools of say 6 tetras each.

how about the ottos, they need to be together too?

i kinda like them, but i guess they would be best in large well planted tank??

where do you people store ur pictures on the internet, i want to take a photo to show you guys what the tank looks like, maybe you can suggest what you think will be a good choice, as i want a fish that is happy, as well as i like.

IM004721.jpg

Picture of entire tank
IM004722.jpg

close up right
IM004723.jpg

close up left

so please give me ur opinions of what u think would like nice in there.

Thank you

In my personal opinion and aqua scaping is a personal thing, some things people like, some they don't, I think the back left corner is a little bare. Something taller like on the other side would be good, especially if it could cover the heater up a little more. Heaters should really be fixed diagonally by the way in order to be more efficient. Apart from that it looks fab :hyper:

my heater dont work right anyways, im gonna have to get a new one.

filter will be hidden when i get a dark blue back drop.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back