Stocking For 46-55 Gallon Tanks

BryceHockey

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I am looking to setup either a 46 gallon tank, or possibly around a 55 gallon. I have a stocking scenario that I'd love to have, but obviously don't want to over-stock. At the same time, this would be a very well maintained and live planted tank. The dimensions aren't decided but it would have more area covered rather than height.

If a 46 gallon tank is bought, I want:
3 Cockatoo Cichlids (1 male, 2 females)
6 Corydoras (Exact species undecided, but definitely one that is about 2 inches)
And I would love to have two types of tetras, but this is where the question comes in. I definitely want a large amount of each species so that they are happy, so would 10 fish of 2 different kinds of tetras be overstocking the tank? For the record, they would be tetras around the size of Phantom tetras.

Would spending a bit more to get the 55 gallon be worth it? (Money is tight)

If we had a 55 gallon, or around that size, would it be possible to have 3 Bolivian Rams in addition to the Cockatoos, providing that enough hiding spots are available?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer, I'm looking for some expert advice. By no means is it certain that we can afford the tank but if we can, I want to have the stocking figured out. I am getting very excited. :)

Bryce
 
I am looking to setup either a 46 gallon tank, or possibly around a 55 gallon. I have a stocking scenario that I'd love to have, but obviously don't want to over-stock. At the same time, this would be a very well maintained and live planted tank. The dimensions aren't decided but it would have more area covered rather than height.

If a 46 gallon tank is bought, I want:
3 Cockatoo Cichlids (1 male, 2 females)
6 Corydoras (Exact species undecided, but definitely one that is about 2 inches)
And I would love to have two types of tetras, but this is where the question comes in. I definitely want a large amount of each species so that they are happy, so would 10 fish of 2 different kinds of tetras be overstocking the tank? For the record, they would be tetras around the size of Phantom tetras.

Would spending a bit more to get the 55 gallon be worth it? (Money is tight)

If we had a 55 gallon, or around that size, would it be possible to have 3 Bolivian Rams in addition to the Cockatoos, providing that enough hiding spots are available?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer, I'm looking for some expert advice. By no means is it certain that we can afford the tank but if we can, I want to have the stocking figured out. I am getting very excited. :)

Bryce

Hi there, to give you an idea for stocking i would start with the 1 inch per gallon rule and then really go from there depending on the filtration that you have on the tank etc.

3 Cockatoo Cichlids (1 male at 3" , 2 females at 2") - 7"
6 Corydoras (Exact species undecided, but definitely one that is about 2 inches) - 12"
14 tetras (with a max size of 2inches) 28"

alternatively if you wanted to go for only the 10 tetras you would have another 8" for something like either a bristlenose, a single Pearl Goruami, or 3-4 Male Platys
 
i dont see a problem with either you could even just have a pair of cockatoo's and a pair of rams in the 46 providing there is lots of caves and plants to break the line of sight just make sure you get bolivian rams as the blue rams needs quite warm water which your cories wont do so well in
 
i dont see a problem with either you could even just have a pair of cockatoo's and a pair of rams in the 46 providing there is lots of caves and plants to break the line of sight just make sure you get bolivian rams as the blue rams needs quite warm water which your cories wont do so well in

Blue Rams are fine in temps between 25-28C,
they do however need very mature tanks so is not a stocking option until the tank setup is at least 6 months old
 
Thanks for the replies! The bit about the German Blue rams is useful, and I actually was considering the Bolivians more since I think their coloring would match the cockatoos better. Of course I don't know if we're getting a tank yet but I wanted to start planning. Based on your size list Davo it sounds like perhaps going for a 55 gallon could be good, allowing me to have the Bolivians but still a good amount of tetras. To be honest I don't want a pleco, and the tank would be very well maintained so it probably wouldn't be needed.

I'm sure I'll have more questions about this in the future, thanks!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top