Stocking advice

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Found it 6mg/l they say

Can you provide all the data, perhaps a link to where you found this? If this is a GH of 6 mg/l, that is very soft water. There is nothing wrong with very soft water, provided you keep fish requiring this (there are hundreds of species), but you/we do need to know exactly before we start suggesting suitable fish. You earlier comment about limestone and hard water does not tally with this number.

I rang them and they said the last test in my area results were 6mg/l i said that about the limestone and they said that was just a general result of irish water

OK, so we have very soft water and a slightly acidic pH (6.8 was mentioned previously). The pH will undoubtedly lower as the aquarium becomes established, and this along with the GH of 6ppm (ppm is equal to mg/l) means soft water species will thrive.

Previous advice holds. Remove the platies, they are not going to develop properly in this soft water and that is not fair to the fish. Increase the shoaling neon tetras to 8-9 total, same for black neons.

After i increased the tetras would cherry barbs or danios be suitable

After i increased the tetras would cherry barbs or danios be suitable

No on danios, they are far too active for this small (to the fish) a tank, and the other fish wouldn't appreciate this either.

Cherry barbs cold work, in a group of 7-8 with a mix of male/female. Barbs in general are fairly active but this species is a bit of an exception. The danios would annoy cherry barbs too.

Ok thanks for advice even zebra danios are a no no????

Correct. I was actually assuming Zebra Danios, which is what most here mean if they say just "danios," but danios are active fish and Zebra danios very much so.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back