stocking 75 gallon tank with small fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ken Sauer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am planning to purchase a 75 gallon tank and stock it with small fish: Serpae Tetras (6-8), Pepper Corys (6), and maybe two other compatible small species in schools of about 6. I want them to have enough room to enjoy life and be able to swim. What do you think?

The serpaes are a problem. They are the nippiest tetras in the hobby and finding other shoaling fish which are compatible will be tricky. Are you absolutely set on them? If you are, you need at least 12, preferably more, in the hope that they'll keep their nipping between themselves, but that doesn't always work.

The serpaes are a problem. They are the nippiest tetras in the hobby and finding other shoaling fish which are compatible will be tricky. Are you absolutely set on them? If you are, you need at least 12, preferably more, in the hope that they'll keep their nipping between themselves, but that doesn't always work.
Hmmm...well, I've got 2 of them and 2 Peppered Corys in a 10 gallon tank. We've had the tank about 5 weeks... that is the main reason...

Great idea.
I’ve no idea of your water-fish or fish-fish compatibility but I love the idea of small fish in a big tank. Get it done.
Im looking to do the same in a 30G. Just wish I had room for a 75G.
Best of luck. Keep us informed.
Stay safe.

Great idea.
I’ve no idea of your water-fish or fish-fish compatibility but I love the idea of small fish in a big tank. Get it done.
Im looking to do the same in a 30G. Just wish I had room for a 75G.
Best of luck. Keep us informed.
Stay safe.
Thanks!!! Yeah, we are really excited about having a large tank with small fish so they can have lots of room ( :

I'm thinking 6-8 Serpae Tetras, 5-6 Peppered Cory's, 6 Black Mollies, 6 Dano Zebras: 75 Gallon Tank

You could swap the Serpae Tetras out for Congos. Equally as cool, and with some really nice behaviors. They will literally race each other across the tank! I'd also bump the corydoras up to 9.

You could swap the Serpae Tetras out for Congos. Equally as cool, and with some really nice behaviors. They will literally race each other across the tank! I'd also bump the corydoras up to 9.
Interesting. I'll have to check that out. I'd have to, somehow, convince my daughter to give up (take back to pet store) two fish she loves...may be hard. Thanks!

I have a 55 gallon small tetra tank and it is fun to have different shoals of small fish. I have ember, neon and glowlight shoals but in larger numbers than what you are thinking of. My largest shoal is 27 neon tetras.

I want them to have enough room to enjoy life and be able to swim. What do you think?

Question, would the fish be happier living with larger shoals?

Note: long ago a Tiger Barb said to me, "we want a bubbling treasure chest and shipwreck in the tank! " So much for a natural looking aquarium :)

Question, would the fish be happier living with larger shoals?

Note: long ago a Tiger Barb said to me, "we want a bubbling treasure chest and shipwreck in the tank! " So much for a natural looking aquarium :)
Totally. The fish you have suggested live in shoals of thousands. It's in their DNA to be in groups, and you get to see more and more behaviors the more fish you get, and they will definitely be happier and more colorful.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back