2 Black aeneus
2 Ramshorn snails
3 Peppered cory
3 - unknown name .small black top fin!! small fish
5 rummy nose
6 dwarf corys
1 betta

Hey guys
i just finished cycling my new 100 liter tank. Got 6 neons, 2 baby Black aeneus (which i will remove when they get bigger) & 2 ramhorn snail happy in the tank so far, i was looking to put the other fish i wanted to buy in, I'm still pretty new to fish keeping so i don't know which fish will get along so could u please give us some advice. Above is the list of fish i want in the tank.

btw i have alot of plants in the tank :D.. i will try to post a picture on my camera when i get some time, no promises

anther side note, I only want the pepper cory to help clean up dead plant waste, Could the dwarf corys do that? I also have a mix of half White sand & black gravel, so i would need the dwarf corys to be able to get into sand as well.

6 neon
2 Black aeneus
2 Ramshorn snails
3 Peppered cory
3 - unknown name .small black top fin!! small fish
5 rummy nose
6 dwarf corys
1 betta

Hey guys
i just finished cycling my new 100 liter tank. Got 6 neons, 2 baby Black aeneus (which i will remove when they get bigger) & 2 ramhorn snail happy in the tank so far, i was looking to put the other fish i wanted to buy in, I'm still pretty new to fish keeping so i don't know which fish will get along so could u please give us some advice. Above is the list of fish i want in the tank.

btw i have alot of plants in the tank :D.. i will try to post a picture on my camera when i get some time, no promises

anther side note, I only want the pepper cory to help clean up dead plant waste, Could the dwarf corys do that? I also have a mix of half White sand & black gravel, so i would need the dwarf corys to be able to get into sand as well.
The peppered cories should be in numbers of 6 or more so get 6 of those.
I don't know about the rest.

Also, post pic of those black top fin fish. If they are silvery fish with black tipped tail and top fins, sounds like Bala Sharks o_O Which will grow huge.
bala-shark-fish-as-a-pet.jpg

Also, post pic of those black top fin fish. If they are silvery fish with black tipped tail and top fins, sounds like Bala Sharks o_O Which will grow huge.

Thanks for the reply :D

i though 6 was ideal & 3 minimum? i have 3 in my last tank & they where pretty happy, they grow pretty big & I'm only looking to keep small fish community so 6 would be far to many.

Na the fish looks more like a tiger barb with a top black fin, i'll head into the fishstore & get the name, tryed googling it with no luck :(

Thanks for the reply :D

i though 6 was ideal & 3 minimum? i have 3 in my last tank & they where pretty happy, they grow pretty big & I'm only looking to keep small fish community so 6 would be far to many.

Na the fish looks more like a tiger barb with a top black fin, i'll head into the fishstore & get the name, tryed googling it with no luck :(
They say 6 is minimum with ideal of 8 or 10.

If it is related to a tiger barb, it's probably an aggressive breed of fish... So be careful with those.

Hi, what are the dimensions of the tank? What are your water hardness (GH and KH) and pH?

Here's some feedback on the stocking:
6 neon - I recommend that all tetras are kept in groups of 10-15+ because they are schooling so they would benefit from having more of their own kind around and there's no excuse about space when stocking a new tank
2 Black aeneus - I recommend Corys are kept in groups of 10+ because they are shoaling so they would benefit from having more of their own kind around and there's no excuse about space when stocking a new tank
2 Ramshorn snails (- no impact on stocking and you will soon have more of them, so going to remove from the list)
3 Peppered cory - see above
3 unknown name .small black top fin!! small fish - photo?
5 rummy nose - see above about tetras, I would say this species is a *must* be kept in groups of 10-15+ from my experience with them
6 dwarf corys - see above for Corys
1 betta - potential conflict with tetras

Assuming your tank is 100+ cm long, I recommend the following stocking:
* 10-15 black tetras
* 10+ Corys (of one colour morph and species, for example black C. aeneus)
* 1 Betta splendens

What cycling method did you use?

It won't help you with plant debris, and neither would dwarf Corys. The snails will do this job for you. Whichever Corys you have, it is best if they have a lot of access to sand and part of the tank is sand-only. Do keep in mind that the substrates will mix over time.

I say 6 is always the absolute minimum and 10-15+ is a good minimum. The "ideal" is not very practical for most of us because it would be a few hundred to tens of thousands as that is the sort of groups most of these fish "chose" to live in, in the wild.

In my experience, shoaling species can live in smaller groups, but more is always better. On the other hand, some schooling species (like rummy-nose tetras) really "need" the larger groups or you will not see them that much.

Hi, what are the dimensions of the tank? What are your water hardness (GH and KH) and pH?

Here's some feedback on the stocking:
6 neon - I recommend that all tetras are kept in groups of 10-15+ because they are schooling so they would benefit from having more of their own kind around and there's no excuse about space when stocking a new tank
2 Black aeneus - I recommend Corys are kept in groups of 10+ because they are shoaling so they would benefit from having more of their own kind around and there's no excuse about space when stocking a new tank
2 Ramshorn snails (- no impact on stocking and you will soon have more of them, so going to remove from the list)
3 Peppered cory - see above
3 unknown name .small black top fin!! small fish - photo?
5 rummy nose - see above about tetras, I would say this species is a *must* be kept in groups of 10-15+ from my experience with them
6 dwarf corys - see above for Corys
1 betta - potential conflict with tetras

Assuming your tank is 100+ cm long, I recommend the following stocking:
* 10-15 black tetras
* 10+ Corys (of one colour morph and species, for example black C. aeneus)
* 1 Betta splendens

What cycling method did you use?

It won't help you with plant debris, and neither would dwarf Corys. The snails will do this job for you. Whichever Corys you have, it is best if they have a lot of access to sand and part of the tank is sand-only. Do keep in mind that the substrates will mix over time.

I say 6 is always the absolute minimum and 10-15+ is a good minimum. The "ideal" is not very practical for most of us because it would be a few hundred to tens of thousands as that is the sort of groups most of these fish "chose" to live in, in the wild.

In my experience, shoaling species can live in smaller groups, but more is always better. On the other hand, some schooling species (like rummy-nose tetras) really "need" the larger groups or you will not see them that much.
Well, in this case it's about a limited size tank anyway so you can't have 100+ cories in 100-300L tanks that the everyday newbie usually gets. So 10 cories of a kind would look nice in a 100L tank and get enough friends to not get bored.

What about Hoplos? Are they to be kept in groups or can they live individually or in smaller groups? Somewhere on this website it says they can live single too.

thread getting buzzy :D

Thanks for the replays guys, lets not get side tracked with a different subject plz :D

@KittyKat
great post

With cycling method, i don't really want to get into great detail but ammonia drip/old media from a 220 liter tank, which sits in the living room :D (not mine of course :D)

Which bottom feeder would u recommend for eating plant debris? I really enjoy growing & replanting.. Which (small) bottom feeder would u recommend other then my snail which tend to be lazy :D (on a side note i only have 1 ramshorn snail in the tank, well i guess that won't stop him/her from breeding lol) *it didn't die i put it in my old tank :D, friend wanted it

With cycling method, i don't really want to get into great detail but ammonia drip/old media from a 220 liter tank, which sits in the living room :D (not mine of course :D)
Just checking whether the media can support fast stocking or not, but it's a bit difficult to tell from a media-transfer method. For example, if you had done a qualifying period with ammonia dosing, you could have added most of the stock in one go.

Which bottom feeder would u recommend for eating plant debris? I really enjoy growing & replanting.. Which (small) bottom feeder would u recommend other then my snail which tend to be lazy :D (on a side note i only left 1 ramshorn snail in the tank)
There isn't really anything that eats only plant debris… usually, if fish are eating plants, it's because they are starving, so in a "normal" and happy aquarium, I wouldn't expect them to even look at the plants. Shrimp (possibly compatible) and some livebearers (not compatible based on water preferences) will pick at greenery, but to be honest, I wouldn't really expect to see that much plant debris in a tank anyway (once plants are established), as plants should grow, not die off. My advice is that you pick your favourite Cory species and just go for that :good: If you have a smaller Cory species, like dwarfs, you can have more of them than of a larger species (such as C. aeneus).

Just checking whether the media can support fast stocking or not, but it's a bit difficult to tell from a media-transfer method. For example, if you had done a qualifying period with ammonia dosing, you could have added most of the stock in one go.

it was more of a money issue then anything :(...

My advice is that you pick your favourite Cory species and just go for that :good: If you have a smaller Cory species, like dwarfs, you can have more of them than of a larger species (such as C. aeneus).

Dwarf corys for the win then :D, But would the dwarf corries get into sand substrate? my old peppered would really mix my sand substrate nicely so i wouldn't have to worry about air bubbles as much..

Dwarf corys for the win then :D, But would the dwarf corries get into sand substrate? my old peppered would really mix my sand substrate nicely so i wouldn't have to worry about air bubbles as much..
They will dig around same as any other Cory would, but it might take them more time to move around deeper substrate.

thanks for the replys kitty :D

Here a few pictures of my tank, i still haven't gotten the name of that fish so i guess i won't update the list till i do :D

Sorry about the low res as well it was taken with a iphone :(

http://imageshack.us/g/204/img0721vx.jpg/

there 8 neons in the picture & 1 lazy snail sleeping i hope.... he was moving early this morning, the other fish are hiding lol

You could do with some more plants in the long term, but it does look like a good start :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back