still itchy

mostanks

Fish Addict
Reaction score
my blood parrot got beat up by a catfish in my home 90g tank,so i brought it to my office tank so he can heal and he ended up getting some kind of parasite and started scratching himself so i added some salt after a water change the week after,same thing water change and salt.i did notice that the parasites were gone and his fins have healed almost completely but he's still itchy,is this normal??

thanks

just found out my ph is really low (6) so i'm guessing if i fix this it should help my blood parrot.
also can i add a small piece of coral or maybe some baking soda powder to boost it up some?

some cichlids will rub against objects in the tank to establish territory. mine do it. when the budda i have ousted the dempsey from his cave he brushed up against every surface of it for the next few days. hybrids may have some of the same instincts as the true strains, not so sure. could be the new territory.

i have never used just salt to treat for parasites though. salt is used in ill fish to improve gill function. i would try some maracyn in the tank for the next few days to be sure. even tetracycline, could be the healing is itchy same as with humans. make sure you take out any carbon though. carbon will remove the meds.

maggie

i'm not sure if salt is a proven parasite killer,but what i can tell you is that the parasite's are gone.and i have been using salt instead of meds for about 2yrs now.

never heard of using salt. always use meds. i do use salt with the meds whenever treating fish.

it is true, you do learn something new every day!

maggie

Most reactions

Back