Starting up a freshwater tank and need advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I know I am restricted by the size of tank. Personally I would have got the other one but as my Mum was paying for it I went with her choice. To quote my Mum 'It's only for a few fish' but I of course want to maximise the opportunity of having fish so would like a choice. Hence so many questions and pics of fish I like asking if they're suitable or not :)

Sorry, Nicola, I was mainly answering Lajos' suggestions of fish that would be too big. I didn't mean it as a criticism of your tank.
I used to have 54 litre tank that had a footprint of 60 x 30 cm and I know how tricky they can be to stock. In mine, I had ember tetras, pygmy cories and red cherry shrimps. But I had to close this tank as it was in the kitchen and when we altered it there was no room for the tank.

No offence taken sorry! I'm just excited about this new venture and want to get it right :rolleyes: Corys are a definite just need to figure out what's going in with them lol

I told you I had the wrong fish :oops: The ember tetras were in a different tank! I had Boraras maculatus in the 54 litre. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/boraras-maculatus/

Look at nerite snails. There are several different colours and sizes - the black and yellow striped ones stay quite small ( https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/databank/bumblebee-horn-snail- ) but the biggest grow to only about an inch to an inch and a half diameter. Wait till the tank has grown some algae before getting any.
Nerites can't reproduce in fresh water as the newly hatched snails need salt water to survive. They'll never overrun the tank. But they can and do lay sesame seed like eggs on the decor which never hatch.
There are cone shaped snails, Malaysian trumpet snails stay quite small but spend all the daylight hours in the substrate. Other conical snails such as rabbit snails can grow quite large so check their ultimate size before buying.

In case anyone suggests mystery/apple snails, they are banned by the EU so we can't get them.

Also would like two or three little snails too which would be the best kind to get?

I think it's better not to keep snails. They are prone to bringing parasites into your tank.
And some parasites will take a long time to eradicate from your tank.
And if you have plant and sand in the tank, it's almost impossible to eradicate them from your tank. The plants will absorb the medication and reduce the medication effectiveness. The sand will provide place for the parasites to hide and probably avoid being killed by the medication.

Parasites will kill your fish slowly especially the gill flukes. And some parasites like Ich(white spot disease) will kill your fish fast if you don't treat your tank with medications quickly.

I forgot to tell you that you have to buy an air pump and air tube (about 1.5m long depending on where you place your air pump).

Next, you might want to learn about how to pick/select healthy fish.
Most of the fish stores' tanks have parasites and bacteria.
So, you have to choose the fish carefully to avoid picking fish that have disease.
Whenever you buy new fish, there is always risk of bringing parasites and bacteria into your tank.
You can search internet on how to select healthy fish.
Or if I have time tomorrow, I can send you some links.

I have had snails in my tanks for years with no problems.

I have:
nerites of various species
Malaysian trumpet snails (which tunnel through the sand)
The tiny flat spiral snails (ramshorns) that came with live plants
Physid snails (tadpole/pond/bladder etc) that also came on plants.

Snails are actually an important part of the tank ecosystem and I would not have a tank without snails.

Given the area where Lajos_Detari lives, wild caught snails are more likely, and they could introduce pathogens. For those in northern climes buying the common small harmless snails is OK. Pond or acute bladder snails, and Malaysian Livebearing Snails the best.

To your earlier question on what else to add, I would get another two (or three) pieces of wood. The more wood to break up thee space, the better for the fish and it makes the space appear larger.

Given the area where Lajos_Detari lives, wild caught snails are more likely

Thank you for that reminder, Byron. I tend to forget that people can live in other countries :oops:

Since Nicola Main lives in Scotland, she will most likely buy snails from a fish shop.

You don't need an air pump as long as the filter moves water round the tank. If you like to have bubbles by all means get one, but you don't need one.

I know you said you don't want a big air pump but I use an Eheim air pump to power a sponge filter in my betta's tank and it is almost silent. It is a bit big though.

Is there a 'fill to' mark anywhere in the tank, or does it say anything in the instructions?
Usually the water surface is hidden by the trim at the top of a tank but that looks quite thin in your photo, and the lid does not look very tall so if you have the water that high it could be too near the lights. But a tank looks better if the top of the water is hidden.

It's definitely not near the lights when closed. I think I'd prefer it to be filled higher. Maybe not with the kettle this time? Put water conditioner in on Sunday, dose of Microbe Lift Nite Out II bacteria as per instructions yesterday and today. I also did my first tests for ammonia and pH etc

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back