Starting up a freshwater tank and need advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It's a nice tank with cover and light and internal filter.

Your selections of fish are good.
The Black Neon Tetras will cover the middle and top level whereas the Corydoras will cover the bottom level.
When you have fish at different levels, your tank will look more "full" and not so empty.(if you only have fish at one level).

Here are some information about fish and their preferred level.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/preferred-levels-of-community-fish-1378336

Can you get a bigger plastic pail? LOL

Just one caution.
Whenever you use something made of metal for your fish, just be careful of the metal material.(since you mentioned that you use kettle).
Copper material is toxic to the fish.
So, it's better not to heat up your tank water with the "shower water heater" as it's usually made of copper.

Also, you must not use any household cleaning detergent to clean your aquarium or aquarium accessories as the detergent is toxic to the fish and can be difficult to rinse off.
Usually I use vinegar to clean my fish tank as it can be easily rinse off and diluted.

Frankly speaking I'm not sure what type of heating elements that you used in your house or country for your tap water.

Usually the advice given is not to use the "shower" heater to heat up your aquarium water.
You have to use a kettle to heat up your water.

I stay in a tropical country and I don't face this problem as I don't have to heat up my water. Our tap water stay warm throughout the year.

Perhaps, we wait for other people with more experience to give their advice.

What water brand of conditioner that you used for your aquarium water?

You will need to cycle the tank before you get fish; or plant it quite heavily and wait till you are sure the plants are growing and not about to die. This will take a few weeks so you have time for the shop to get the tetras in.

Have you bought a test kit yet? You'll need that for cycling, plus a bottle of ammonia; or if you use live plants you'll still need a test kit to make sure the plants are taking up all the ammonia.

As for filling a tank, when you have fish you'll need to do 50% water changes every week. Do you have a combi boiler or a cylinder in an airing cupboard? If you have a combi boiler you can use hot tap water to get the new water to the right temperature. Maybe fill a bucket in the bathroom? With a cylinder you will need to use a kettle though (because of the header tank in the attic)

What are the dimensions of the tank? I can't find an Aquatropic 54 anywhere on-line, the smallest I can find is the 65.

Based on the information from the internet, Fluval Aqua Plus water conditioner can neutralize the metal toxins.
But I'm not so sure how much metal toxin it can neutralize....probably just a mild metal toxin unless you used higher dosage.

I would not worry about copper unless the whole piping system in the house has recently been replaced. Many people in the UK with combi boilers use hot tap water with no ill effects. I use a kettle simply because we have a hot water cylinder, and it's because of the header tank that I don't use hot water (since it is not safe to drink water from the hot tap, I don't use it in my fish tanks)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back