Starting A Reef Tank For The First Time

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RRaquariums

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
So I have kept freshwater fish for years and always wanted to do a reef tank but never did because I thought it would cost to much but after researching it I can set a small one up for about what what I have into some of my fresh water tanks.
What I have is a 20 gallon long with a glass lid and two light hoods which will have 24 inch 10.000k light bulbs from what I have read this will be enough to keep most soft and beginner corals which is what I'm after. I will also be getting 2 clown fish once the tank is set up and cycled and the live rock is going good.
Any advice you guys have would be awesome.

Sorry you have had so many looks but no replies.

What type of system is it. With you coming from the freshies are you running a cannister filter or something of the likes?

You will need a good phos remover (i use rowaphos), maybe a reactor for it, powerheads are a must.

Best thing like freshwater is to just go slow. Once cycled slowly introduce your cuc, then softies if you like and fish. I would invest in a good test kit, I would not reccomend api from experience. I can also guaruntee that, cause you have expressed interest in corals that you will want to quickly upgrade your lights. There are some good affordable leds on market as once you have clown fish you will most likely, esp if you have a wife or kid, will want an anemone. Until then try a toadstool or finger coral as my clown fish hosted a finger coral for several months until I introduced a Rose BTA.

Let us know what kit / equipment you run currently and your tank stats and we can be alot more helpful rather than a generic answer.

Mitch

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back