Start Up Marine

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PERCY

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just looking a basic bit of info folks.

I haven't kept an aquarium for a few years however after a house move I'm ready to get up and running again.

I've a tank on order so will hopefully be arriving within the week. I had initially intended on setting up a freshwater tank however I have found myself browsing the marine section on here more and more.

I've never kept marine before so know absolutely nothing about it. I'm just looking for an indication of what I would have to buy in order to allow me to get an indication of the set up costs and also a rough guide on maintenance costs etc before I decide to take the plunge.

The tank I have is 60x26x18 inches which I thinks is around 450 litres? It also has a cabinet and hood.

Currently I do not have anything else so would require filters and lighte etc

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

This all depends upon what you wish to keep & how much you are prepared to spend.

FOWLR has lower set up & maintenance costs.

If you want to keep coral both will be more expensive.

Either way you will need minimum of:

LR (no filter - unnecessary this is your filter)
Water movement (powerheads/wavemaker/sump+return pump)
Refractometer
Salt
Test kits
Lighting (depends what you want to keep)

Research what you want to keep & your budget. Have a good read of MARC & then come back if you still have any questions!

HTH

Hi folks, thanks for the replys. As it stands now I have a brand new tank sitting waiting to go.

I also bought 2 tetratec ex1200 external filters as I was just going to set up a tropical tank as I've no idea about marine fish. I also have a 300w hydor inline heater. I'd still love a marine set up so where do I go from here?

I still don't have lights yet and need something that would fit under the hood. Can anyone please advise

Is a protein skimmer essential? I don't have room behind the tank for one that hangs on and I don't want to modify the hood.

Is it still possible for me to do a marine set up?

It is BUT you need some method of exporting nutrients & other rubbish. For a beginner the best method of that is a skimmer.

It is also possible to do without one - but you would need a refugium growing lots of macro algae that is regularly harvested & would have to be absolutely scrupulous about regular testing & water changes.

Having said all of that I always recommend novices to start with a skimmer.

As I said before your lighting will depend upon what you want to keep - decide this and we will be able to advise you.

It is BUT you need some method of exporting nutrients & other rubbish. For a beginner the best method of that is a skimmer.

It is also possible to do without one - but you would need a refugium growing lots of macro algae that is regularly harvested & would have to be absolutely scrupulous about regular testing & water changes.

Having said all of that I always recommend novices to start with a skimmer.

As I said before your lighting will depend upon what you want to keep - decide this and we will be able to advise you.

Right so let's say a skimmer is essential. I will have to bite the bullet and get one. But which one?? It needs to fit INSIDE the tank otherwise I'm screwed as I've no room behind the tank

As for lighting I'd definitely want to keep corals but as of yet I don't know what

Here's a few pics of the tank. I'm not sure if a hang on skimmer would fit?. You can see in the pics where there are already cut outs in the back of the hood but I've no idea if the braces would get in the way

8ef1175f.jpg

48b3e342.jpg

a57512c9.jpg

6c869abd.jpg

Is there such a thing as an external protein skimmer? i.e. the same idea as an external filter?

You can get 'external' skimmers - but they are mostly the bigger ones (and therefore more expensive)

As GGTank says I would hang it on the side.

I gave up as I've no idea what to do. I've filled it with tap water and started cycling.

I don't understand how I could hang a skimmer over the side when the hood wraps right around????

You can get 'external' skimmers - but they are mostly the bigger ones (and therefore more expensive)

As GGTank says I would hang it on the side.

Can you advise what and how much they are? I would consider it if it is reasonable

Well I used either Aquamedic or Deltec - with a preference for Deltec.

Have got the previous version of this Deltec 851
the Deltec 850 that I was going to put on Ebay - pm me if you are interested.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back