Stan's freshwater 240 gallon extravaganza. Trials and tribulations of a sunlit aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No real news to report as the tank is in a good balance. I did have some surprise deaths over the last month or two. A large Roseline caught something internal and external (cottony growths) as it stopped eating, I treated it and it seemed to be getting better on the outside as it healed...but after eating well...it again stopped and days later died. The other two are fine..and were larger than the one that died by a slight margin. A Rosy minnow- last of the first group I ever added to the tank to cycle it...finally died after 2 and a half years. Not bad for being in warm waters. Again,the internal problem,not eating..and dead. But I'm happy with what I have..its a good mix of top - Giant Danio's,middle,large Rainbows of all colors,and bottom..Loaches like Queen and 3 Clowns, and 2 Panda Garas.
Plant wise..nothing new. Java Moss is doing great. ALL started from that $5 bamboo stick.
Other plants I trim to size..so nothing to show.
Water quality is better than ever..weekly changes on top of the better larger filter. I just sit and enjoy....

Got tired of being home..had to get out. In fact,I needed to charge the battery 3 days of not starting drains it (it's got all power that little car,plus security stuff) before I left to visit the LFS..and I spot some jewels I've wanted for over two years now...Snakeskin barbs..one of a family that look like Tiger Barbs without the mass murderer personality of Tiger Barbs.
30 minutes into being in the tank,they are schooling with a half dozen Giant Danios. Nice look if temporary as the fish get their bearings and adjust to the new forever home.
I got lucky.

Got tired of being home..had to get out. In fact,I needed to charge the battery 3 days of not starting drains it (it's got all power that little car,plus security stuff) before I left to visit the LFS..and I spot some jewels I've wanted for over two years now...Snakeskin barbs..one of a family that look like Tiger Barbs without the mass murderer personality of Tiger Barbs.
30 minutes into being in the tank,they are schooling with a half dozen Giant Danios. Nice look if temporary as the fish get their bearings and adjust to the new forever home.
I got lucky.
would love to see a pic of them in there. ive been considering which barbs to get.. started with odessa, and now its between pentazona or snakeskin

Here you go Vike. Also with Giant Danios in the sun..really brings out there color. In fact,Roselines in sunlight? the back becomes a iridescent green..I have to get a photo of that too.
The Snakeskins seem so choice,peaceful..and none of that Tiger Barb kill'em all personality!
IMG_2637GREAT!.jpg
IMG_2636.JPG

Thanks Vike. I'm wondering what the maximum size they can reach? I've seen some sites say 2.5" and another of 3.5" Three and half sounds way too large. In fact,I haven't seen a photo of any that large so far.
IF THAT ever happens,I will post it.

I was watching a guy who sells barbs- his specialty on youtube. He's the only person besides me to hate the aquarium Tiger Barb. In fact he says they should not even be in the hobby as they are unsafe with other fish and each other..but sold as community fish. His theory based on having wild P. tetrazona that he says are not nippy and do make a good community tank fish,are that the aquarium is some kind of hybrid that's lost the ability to socialize..and is just a holy terror.
Tiger Barbs look great- I used to breed them and types like the green..raised hundreds...but if I didn't keep a supply coming? A tank of 50 ends up being one fat ~3" female superdominant...and THOSE will get bladder problems from being so large.

I agree tiger Barbs look great, thought about buying them but decided no after hearing from others on the forum I picked up 22 neon tetras on sale at Meijers. 11 for 10 USD. Never seen them that cheap. They go for around 2.99 USD here.

I was just commenting back and forth with a youtuber who did films of Neons underwater ( no,not flying in air)...and anyways,He said they are not always in tea colored acid waters..they in that video were in clear water..warm as it was the dry season and they were intermingling with Rummynoses and some other tetras' I dont know.
Neons always die on me in weeks. I give up.
I think they do BEST for tanks with no substrate, maybe some branches and plants in pots. He said they have a low threshold for bacteria in gravels. Almost like a breeder tank.
I'm into Danio's ,Rainbows,and Barbs now Vike..they seem happy with aquarium life.. I think they fit what people who start in this hobby's idea of how fish keeping should be like...happy fish ,active. Amazon fishes are touchy by comparison.

One little tidbit...an uncolorful female rainbow I added in the winter? She has grown into a uncolorful 3" fish who is like a living lawnmower. Remember when I would post I had to trim Star Grass twice a week?...well,those stems are aging and its not quite as nice as it was...but the Rainbow in questions loves to eat stargrass..she picks and picks..and she does almost all my pruning and she has done what scissors didn't do...she has reduced the size of the leaves into tiny stars. In fact,she reminds of grass carp..clipping the star grass- and eats the mowings.

The discussion on be nice? Reminds me....(wavy lines) A few months ago I posted a guys channel..I liked his jib. So weeks later I asked him "What's the best Buce? easiest and best to flower?" He came back- "Black skeleton you HAVE to get that one!" So,I think that sounds great right? I then looked it up online and NOBODY had a good thing to say about it. Its maybe the WORST Buce as from writeups,it will not grow underwater and it strictly is a terrarium plant and even then tricky to keep alive. Its is great looking being shiny black,and its pricey still. But FAR from easiest and why he wanted me to buy one I can only guess. Sometimes you like them,and they in turn DONT like you-lol...It could have been my many posts..politics...how I don't have hair Whateva.
The internet can be a ‍:huh:

Another scorching hot day. It was 103f yesterday and today must have pushed 100f. So,took photos of some of the biggest Rainbows. Plus the Syngonium AFTER I pruned it. Looks like a nuclear mushroom cloud. Angelfish with eggs and chased the male into the corner.
IMG_2672.JPG
IMG_2684.JPG
IMG_2685.JPG
IMG_2690.JPG
IMG_2675 (1).jpg

A few changes...some changes in philosophy of where this tank is going. I decided enough with struggling plants OR plants that look like weeds. Also,the backlight of my tank isnt really good for tall plants along the back...if they don't have an interesting form..like Sword Plants or Bolbitis?..they really look scrawny even when they are doing well.
I have fewer species of plants now then in over a year or more..but what I'm keeping is doing well,does not hog up the tank or take up much of the swimming space of the fish.
One more..since June? Algae really came back....so now the window has a sheer curtain,and I've turned that tide back. Too much of a good thing,even light can hurt.
Bolbitis..wow,to see it doing well is a huge relief. Touch and go for months. I take it the plant with no Co2,then has to take time to grow roots to have the energy to add more leaves. It's not aquascapers quality ..but new leaves look translucent and lush and getting larger.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back