Spray Painting Tank Hood, Bottom Edges

minxfishy

Fish Maniac
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
8,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So having been unable to source a purple tank :( I have bought a black one instead, its curved glass, so its just the black hood, bottom edging that is the problem.

So I thought about spray painting it or some other form of paint. Has anyone done this, is it feasible do you think? Or some other form of paint?

Knowing zero about DIY stuff and paints, would spray paint or other paint just run straight off a plastic hood? Is there a special paint that would be needed?

Any advice greatly welcomed, obviously I know I would have to cover the glass parts and attach some masking tape so as not to get the parts purple I didnt want to, just dont want to try this and have it looking an awful mess at the end - which would be my luck.
 
go to b and q they have atonne of spray paints for just about anything,find out what the tank is made from and take into account heat etc, then you may well need a primer or an undercoat first so that it is easier to reach the purple you are after,, and yeah dont forget the masking tape and news paper, very valuable in these kinda jobs

just noticed that its plastic, do lots of very light coats laying the hood flat on the floor so that it wont dribble and allow plenty of drying time in between coats, the most that can go wrong really is a dribble and then you can sand that out and do it over :)

good luck
shelagh xxxx
 
Thanks Shelagh, just been to B&Q and got me some spray enamel paint and its equivalent little pot to use a brush with if I need it - says it works on most plastics - fingers crossed it works - if it all goes t*ts up, then I hope some white spirit will get it off again :lol:
 
im sure it will be fine,good luck, hopes it goes to plan

shelagh xxx

remember to use in a well ventilated area
 
:lol: Yeah if it ever stops raining long enough I was planing on doing it outside - I quite fancy some purple grass too :P
 
Minx - try it out on the back part of the hood first, give it some time to dry and see how it looks before you do the rest - in case it turns out horrible.
 
Good luck and post up some pic's of how it goes. I have to admit purple is not my sort of colour but I hope it works :)
 
Good luck and post up some pic's of how it goes. I have to admit purple is not my sort of colour but I hope it works :)

Be sure and ventilate it well before you use it, the fumes are very toxic from spray paints, and combined with plastics you never know what youre breathing (or your fish either!).

Is there another way to do it? eg sticky backed plastic or something?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top