Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Tank
L-150cm
D-38cm
H-60cm
Filter
Canister rated 1400l/h
I have just set up the tank ready to cycle so no fish in there.
The filter came with two lengths of spray bar.
I curently have the two lengths across the back of the tank - from left to right. This extends to over half the length of the tank.
The intake is in the opposite corner.
Here come the questions.
1. Is it okay to have the flow going back to front ?
2. Should I position the holes to point a certain way ? e.g. towards the surface.
Will be keeping micro fish so do not want it to be like a washing machine in there for them.
Thanks as always for the help.

Flow back to front is fine, though I tend to prefer side to side in a long tank like this. If you position the spray bar along one end and the intake on the other, you'll get some flow throughout the tank.

As for direction, I like to have most of the jets flowing parallel to the water surface so I get some surface agitation for aeration. If possible, I also like to have a little bit of flow pointed toward the bottom of the tank to avoid dead spots. My tanks are always heavily planted with lots of hardscape, so that's an issue.

That seems like a pretty big filter for that tank, circulating 4x the tank volume per hour if my calculations are right. But the whole purpose of a spray bar is to avoid the churning effect, so your micros should be fine, especially if you're planning a lot of plants and hardscape.

What kinds of micros are you planning on? You could have a LOT of them in a tank this size! :)

Flow back to front is fine, though I tend to prefer side to side in a long tank like this. If you position the spray bar along one end and the intake on the other, you'll get some flow throughout the tank.

As for direction, I like to have most of the jets flowing parallel to the water surface so I get some surface agitation for aeration. If possible, I also like to have a little bit of flow pointed toward the bottom of the tank to avoid dead spots. My tanks are always heavily planted with lots of hardscape, so that's an issue.

That seems like a pretty big filter for that tank, circulating 4x the tank volume per hour if my calculations are right. But the whole purpose of a spray bar is to avoid the churning effect, so your micros should be fine, especially if you're planning a lot of plants and hardscape.

What kinds of micros are you planning on? You could have a LOT of them in a tank this size! :)
Thanks for the info.
Looking at a mix of ember tetras , lampeye killifish and habrosus Cory.
May add a small group of honey gourami to the mix

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back