"specimen Containers" For Treating Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Will91

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all:

I have a head and tail light tetra that has lost some scales and has what I think is some body fungus (cloudy film over eyes, fins somewhat eaten away). I was advised by lfs to treat with PimaFix but would rather not treat the whole tank and risk harming my beneficial bacteria.

Has anyone used a specimen container attached to the inside of the tank for a sick fish? That way the temperature of the specimen container would be the same as the tank. I could also insert a hose from my gang valve for a little aeration. Obviously I would probably have to do daily water changes and re-medicate but this would avoid treating the whole tank.

Thanks for any input.

http://www.petdiscounters.com/c66/Specimen...iner-p1426.html

You may be better off just purchasing a separating 2.5 gallon tank depending on the size of all your fish, you want whoever is sick to be able to fit in there. Also you could just run aeration or purchase a small filter to keep watermovement going on the tank. This you could consider your hospital tank. Check out the posted items at the top of the emergency section for information on hospital tanks.

Thanks Fishkies:

I really wanted to avoid a dedicated hospital tank since this would require the tank, heater, filter. Also, unless one kept it running 24/7, you would still have to do almost daily water changes because you wouldn't have a beneficial bacterial colony established, right? I like the idea of the specimen container since all my fish are small anyways, 1" or so. If it is hooked on the main tank so it is immersed in the main tank, the specimen holder temp should be the same as the main tank. Maybe this isn't ideal, but is should work right?

Well my thought is depending how long you have to treat that tank it could get filthy. Especially like most medications your supposed to treat for a few days straight. Well at the same time you should be feeding and he'll be pooping. This will build up quite quickly in that little specimen container. If you want a cheap way out of it you can go with the specimen container. However I would just invest in a small tank, cheap whisper pre-set heater and just add a bubbler instead of a full-on filter.

Also it is quite difficult to keep bacteria always living in a hospital tank. Because depending on what you are treating for, it is going to destroy the bacteria colony. Especially if you are treating with a bacterial medication or methylene blue, which clearly states that it will mess with the biological filtration.

Just some things to keep in mind. good luck with which ever you decide.

Buy a cheap sponge filter(or make one, there are directions over on th DIY forums), and use some of the media from your current tank;s filter. You can use this whenever you use the hospital tank.

Problem solved. :good:

TylerFerretLord is right. just have a spare tank handy and when the need arises set it up with stuff from the mature tank

Most reactions

Back