Soil in a tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Wizard Lizard

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im trying to upgrade my beta tank, switching him over to a 2 gal (that's what I got available until I move out) and im trying to integrate water plants. Im really good with land plants but water ones never seem to work out for me, i think its fertilization, i have lots of potting soil and have seen lots of people use it as an under layer with a mesh separator, would this work for me? Any tips? Thanks in advance!

My only real water plant is turning yellow, and i forgot the name, so here is a pic to hopefully identify it.

20200728_172455.jpg

Im trying to upgrade my beta tank, switching him over to a 2 gal (that's what I got available until I move out) and im trying to integrate water plants. Im really good with land plants but water ones never seem to work out for me, i think its fertilization, i have lots of potting soil and have seen lots of people use it as an under layer with a mesh separator, would this work for me? Any tips? Thanks in advance!

It might or might not work, but the more important thing is, it is not needed. Aquarium plants will grow in any substrate provided it is not too large a grain size (pea gravel and larger). Sand is probably best, inert sand. And certainly safer.

Problems growing plants is an issue of the light/nutrient balance. If the light is adequate intensity for the plant species (some are low light and some high light), and of the correct spectrum (around 5000K to 6500K), and this is balanced by sufficient nutrients, the plants will grow very well.

Soil has serious issues; high ammonia during the first 5-6 months can kill fish. You can do a "dry start" and not add fish for six months, but why bother when there is no benefit anyway?

Several of us will be able to get you on the right track, but we need some data on the light you have. And a photo of the entire tank so we can see the plants. And what if any fertilizer you are now using. I'm heading offline now, and will be back tomorrow, but other members have good experience with plants so they can help you anyway.

I have grown several plants including sword plants in gravel and now sand using root tabs. There are numerous plants like anacharis , java ferns and moneywort that draw what then need for the water so soil is not really needed and soil does wear out in a year or two and needs to be replaced which can be a mess.

I do believe my issue is fertilization as im using none, which is why I was considering a soil under layer, the plant is a low light and ive been using partial sunlight, substrate is fine sand (im changing this out for gravel soon), filter has been revoved for the moment to be cleaned, I didnt expect responses so fast so you guys caught me during my cleaning so apologies.

I do believe my issue is fertilization as im using none, which is why I was considering a soil under layer, the plant is a low light and ive been using partial sunlight, substrate is fine sand (im changing this out for gravel soon), filter has been revoved for the moment to be cleaned, I didnt expect responses so fast so you guys caught me during my cleaning so apologies.
All my plants grow well in gravel, no ferts ,no root tabs.just keep buying different plants and see what grows and what wont.
Do you habe any fish in the tank???

I have a betta in that tank now, with the 2 gal I was hoping to put my black neon and otto in with him. They ate currently in a different tank wich has no known issues.

My only real water plant is turning yellow, and i forgot the name, so here is a pic to hopefully identify it.
That appears to be anubias. Anubias is a low light plant. It should be attached to rocks or driftwood...not planted into the substrate or it will die.

You could use a fertilizer such as seachem flourish comprehensive at half dose, once or twice a week.

Oh! I thought it was reverse, thats prob my issue then, ok, thanks so much for that! I will fix that immediately.

One of my issues is I dont got a large budget for things like fertilizers so was hoping to use things I already had.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back