So It Begins

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

....and those beautiful pieces of bogwood are going to soften things even furtherĀ 
unsure.png
Ā I just thought I'd mention that in case it gets forgottenĀ 
smile.png

I'll reply more in depth later, but I ended up using my tap water because all my well water buckets ended up full of iron sediment from aerating to remove sulfur. I didn't rant to use those because I figured the iron would settle on my substrate and make everything red.

My current plan is to do weekly water changes with mostly, if not all, well water to bring the hardness up. While there are no fish in, I shouldn't have to worry about the sulfur at least.

Ok, so my water situation thus far. (It's so good to be typing on a computer again!! using one at work lol) Anyway, my tap water is indeed softened with salts, and comes in at a GH of 35ppm and pH of 7 directly from the tap. My well water, on the other hand, is nice at roughly 200-250 ppm GH and a pH of still close to 7. Having learnedĀ about softened water onĀ my Cory TankmatesĀ post, I was going to use solely well water in the tank, though wasn't sure how I was going to bring it up to heat before adding it in every week.
Ā 
However, I found that when taking the well water from the spout in the basement, it gives off a rather strong smell of rotten eggs (sulfur). I talked to someone about it and he said you can just aerate the water to release the sulfur from it. So, I got a bunch of five gallon buckets (buckets are dark blue)Ā and some air stones, pump, etc. Well, when I came down the next morning the water was very discolored and I couldn't figure out why. I found, after much research, that aerating water with iron in it will make the iron precipitate out more rapidly. The discoloration I was seeing was red from the iron sediment. So, I left the buckets to sit for a few days hoping it would settle out, but it didn't.
Ā 
When I finally had some time off to run down to the fish store and get my plants, I decided I needed to get things going. So, I bought the plants, substrate, etc and got everything ready. When I dumped some of the well water out there was a lot of red sediment on the rim and bottom of the bucket. My main concern being that it would settle out on my substrate and turn everything red. So, I figured I would use tap water mostly on the initial setup, and I still added in two of the aerated buckets of well water.
Ā 
My current plan is to do weekly water changes with well water to increase hardness and get things back on track. If I add it directly, I shouldn't have to worry about the iron precipitating out as much, though I am still concerned it will do so in the tank with the current disturbing the water surface.
Ā 
The dilemma comes when I add in fish, because the well water will obviously be quite cold, and if I let it sit to get to room temperature, the iron will eventually precipitate on it's own (this happened in the buckets that weren't aerated...it still discolored and precipitated after time). Also, if I add it straight in, I am afraid the sulfur will kill my fish. My current thoughts were to fill a bucket at least 3/4 full with well water, then add warm water from my shower to up the temp a little and also aerate it a bit, then add it directly. I'm not sure how this will effect things overall. But, I'm not sure what else to do. If I let it sit for too long I will end up with a bunch of iron sediment, but if I don't I worry about sulfur.
Ā 
Thoughts?? I really don't want to get an RO unit.
noexpression.gif

This is a situation I am glad not to have. Ā I think I can only offer comments on using water that runs through the softener. Ā The salt (sodium) is not good for fish nor plants. Ā The amount may not be critical for plants, but it likely will be for fish. Ā Before considering RO, which is another option, what about a new water softener that does not use salt?

Random aside, I cannot get over this tank. I simply love it! The plants are currently thriving, new growth on all!! So exciting!

6ool81.jpg

Byron said:
This is a situation I am glad not to have. Ā I think I can only offer comments on using water that runs through the softener. Ā The salt (sodium) is not good for fish nor plants. Ā The amount may not be critical for plants, but it likely will be for fish. Ā Before considering RO, which is another option, what about a new water softener that does not use salt?
So, let's say I'm considering an RO unit. Could you give me a brief overview of what I would need to do to the water after the process to up it's hardness, etc?? Also, any recommendations on specific units?? Looking at small units, not whole house.

RO and a water softener are two different things, just to be clear.Ā  I've never had to use these, as my tap water is extremely soft, so others will be better able to explain things.Ā  But I will give a general idea to get you started.
Ā 
RO wastes a lot of water, so this is something to keep in mind if you are on a meter (as well as the environmental issue).Ā  A softener supposedly does not, as it treats the water; you just want one that does this other than with salt.Ā  RO removes everything, creating "pure" water.
Ā 
Considering the RO as you asked, you would likely need to add some mineral back in.Ā  This depends upon the fish you intend.Ā  I have tanks where I add nothing to my near-zero soft water, and others where I need to raise the GH to around 5 or 6 dGH just for the benefit of the plants.Ā  There are preparations for this, some better for fish, others like Equilibrium that I use, intended more for plants.Ā  You could add some well water, but I would want to know exactly what mineral is in the well water; you've mentioned sulfur and iron, and while both are plant nutrients you don't need much of either.
Ā 
You might find a new softener for the house water to be less expensive.Ā  I would certainly look into this.
Ā 
Byron.

Ok, posting this just to update, and in case anyone else has problems similar to mine. My current plan for my water issues is to rig up a degassing tower with two five gallon buckets. Run it through the first one to remove the sulfur (Hydrogen Sulfide), this bucket will be full of the type of media to degass the water. Second one will have a fine filter in it to remove any iron that may sediment out in the first process. I might even attach some heat tape to the buckets to heat the water as it runs through them.
Ā 
Question on my plants. All of them have roots coming out of various spots midway up the stems. Does this mean anything specific that I should be concerned about?? All of them are stretching towards the substrate. Not sure why its happening though.

Question on my plants. All of them have roots coming out of various spots midway up the stems. Does this mean anything specific that I should be concerned about?? All of them are stretching towards the substrate. Not sure why its happening though.
Ā 
Ā 
The nodes along the stems of all stem plants are the places from where leaves and roots grow. Ā Depending upon the plant species, and sometimes the conditions, some produce considerable roots from each node, others fewer. Ā All produce leaves from the nodes, unless they are buried.
Ā 
To the second issue, any chance of a photo?
Ā 
Byron.Ā 

Sure thing Byron, once I have everything setup I will definitely show some pictures of the contraption. I plan on starting the work on it sometime next week. Hope it will solve my problems!

jag51186 said:
Sure thing Byron, once I have everything setup I will definitely show some pictures of the contraption. I plan on starting the work on it sometime next week. Hope it will solve my problems!
Ā 
Sorry, I meant pictures of the plant stems bending toward the substrate. Ā But on reading your post again, I'm wondering if you meant the roots?

I did indeed mean the roots, sorry if I was unclear.

jag51186 said:
I did indeed mean the roots, sorry if I was unclear.
OK, no issues then with plants.
smile.png

Just a quick update...

First tank casualty, one of my anubias melted over the weekend. I think I buried the rhizome, which I didn't realize was a problem until now lol. My melon sword is looking rough as well.

Hoping to build my degassing tower soon and do a massive water change with well water.

My anacharis and vallisneria are already taking over. Planning on cutting and replanting the anacharis. To trim the vallisneria, do I just cut the end of the leaf off at the length I want??

I can't see any Vallisneria plants in the last photo you posted. Ā If this is the "Giant" or "Jungle" Vall, it will grow leaves up to three feet (some sources have longer than this) and they will bend along the surface. Ā Some suggest they can be cut.
Ā 
Is the Melon sword the one in the right front corner? Ā Can you post a photo now so we can see the issue perhaps?
Ā 
Byron.

Most reactions

Back