So I Rescued This Fish...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles370

Reaction score
Ok, so I rescued this fish from my LFS today, as he was too big for their tanks. Apparently, he's an 'albino weather loach'. Now, i have googled this fish, and he's supposed to look like this...

normal_zps99079778.jpeg

However he actually looks like this...
myloach_zpsb2a79b5e.jpeg

Yes i have provided a 'QFS' (quid for scale). He strikes me as rather large, and extremely fat.

If he is a weather loach, does anyone know what could be wrong with him, or is it normal?

Failing that, what is he? Im stumped!
Dunno.gif

Pretty cool though either way
cool.png

First off, No fish is too small for LFS tanks.

There not homed there forever, They're kept in small tanks for display and are uselessly turned over quite fast. So that be your first mistake, You didn't save it at all!

However it could be a weather loach but it could also be a kuhli. It's kinda fat though so it's hard to tell.

He might be bloated so I would try feeding it peas, Weather loaches are very prone to jumping so please make sure you have a tank lid or expect it to go for flying lessons soon.

Ok I'll try it on some peas and see what happens, I'm guessing not too many?

The woman in the shop said it had been brought in by a customer as it was too big for their tank at home and let me take it for free, so I kinda saved it lol

Yea the tank has a fully enclosed lid so it's not getting out, it's jumped a couple of times already, but nowhere for it to go.

With regards to the peas, does it matter what type, or will frozen do?

Thanks

:)

defrost and de-shell frozen ones, I always break mine into little pieces

Wow... poor devil is in a right state! Almost certainly got something going on, either severe ammonia poisoning or a systemic bacterial infection. Effectively... septicaemia (hence the blood red fins).

I'm not entirely sure its anything that can be treated beyond absolutely perfect water conditions, peace and quiet and good food!

It's definitely a weather loach, but very badly swollen.

I would suggest a course of Myxazin, which might help, if it's bacterial, along with following MBOU's advice. Only use a half dose for him/her though as they're scaleless.

That looks exactly like my dojo loach. The top pic does anyway, mine is not bloated like that. I hope he will be ok. So do I have a dojo loach or a weather loach?

They're just two different common names for the same fish; Misgurnus anguillicaudatus.

I'm not sure when the name 'dojo loach' started being used; I'd never heard them called that until I joined this place! I prefer 'weather loach'; you may have noticed they become very active before storms, as they can feel the air pressure change through their swim bladder :)

I think they should be called the goa'uld fish cause they look like the goa'uld larva from that tv show Stargate SG1. I am a big nerd!

But now that you mention he does get really excited before it rains. I never made the connection before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back