Snails!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LiamGoodaire

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right topic but I'm unsure what it means for my tank......

Anyways for those who don't know I have a fluval edge at my girlfriends and turned up to hers this evening only to notice 2 tiny snails on the glass. Now I have recently added 3 live plants to replace the artificial ones so I'm guessing this is the way the have accessed the tank true? However I don't have a clue what to do now, because I don't understand fully what it means for the tank.... are the good/bad for the tank? Are the harmful to the fish? Will the repeatedly come back or not?

Cheers, Goodaire

Snails breed - I was advised to keep on top of mine by taking them out manually, they have no detrimental effect on your tank apart from i found they munched my plants a tad. After a few months of taking out up to 5 snails per day, I recently purchased 3 assassin snails and i havent seen any snails in a few days now.

K

Just dont buy any chemicals to get rid of them, assassins are cool looking and do the job just as well without introducing possible harmful additives to your tank.

K

I also have one assasin snail but he seems to like burying in the substrate rather than eating anything :lol: What shape are they? If theyre a circular spiral shape then theyll probly be ramshorns, if theyre long and pointy they could be pond snails or a whole load of other things! They doo tend to destroy frilly plants if they get too big, I had to completely replace my cabomba after ny infestation, i now only have around 2 left but be warned, 2 will turn into 8 which will turn into 20 which will turn into.... etc very quickly.

ACT FAST!

Ramshorn:
ramshorn.jpg

Pond Snail:
snail.jpg

Snail eggs:
sarahsnail3.jpg
Actual size of eggs in tank :good:

Out of the pictures you just included it looks like a very small pond snail, there must be Bout 4 or 5 now! Any other thing that could get rid of them as I don't really fancy keeping an assassin snail ha

Weigh down a small peice of lettuce and drop it into the tank. In the morning remove the lettuce along with the attached snails and crush them, (they crawl out of bins). Repeat until clear.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back