Snails And Ich

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

picothepleco

Reaction score
The rainy but beautiful Pacific Northwest
I have just finished treating my tank for ich. While treating I removed my snail to a smaller 3 gallon tank. My question is, can I just put the snail back in my treated tank or do I need to do something else with the snail? I'm worried that all of my hard work will go down the drain (not literally) by putting what could possibly be an infected snail back into my (hopefully) clean tank. Thanks

What is in the 3 gal tank that you are treating for ich??

Snails can't get Ich, but they can carry them.  What the duck overlord asked is important. 

Here's a crash course on Ich life cycles.
Stage 1:  The Ich has burrowed beneath the slime coat of the fish, and is immune to meds at this time.  A salt dip may be used to get the Ich off the fish.  Remeber, the white spot is not Ich, that is the fish's body's reaction to the parasite burrowed in it's skin.  Here, the parasite feeds on the host.  Enough parasites on a fish will overwhelm it, and kill it.

Stage 2:  The Ich detaches itself from the host, and attaches itself to any surface in preparation to go into stage 3.  I believe the Ich is vulnerable when it detaches from the host.  However, when it clings to a surface, it creates a protective coat and is no longer vulnerable to meds.  This stage is invisible to the naked eye.  When the Ich comes out into stage 3, it will have multiplied.

Stage 3:  The Ich is in its free floating swimming stage.  In this stage, it is also invisible to the naked eye.  It will swim around in the water until it finds a host to attach to.  This is when Ich is vulnerable to medications (salt and chemical meds).  If the Ich parasite cannot find a host, it will die.

There is no dormat stage of an Ich parasite.  Therefore, any claims that say Ich is always present in a tank, and is an opportunistic infector, is just a false rumor.  Without hosts, the Ich will die.  The life cycle of the parasite depends on the temperature of the water, ranging from weeks in a coldwater pond to a 3-4 days in a tropical tank.  There have been experiments that have found high temperatures alone can kill Ich (90 degrees Farenheit and higher).

Knowing the life cycle of Ich, if the parasite hasn't found a place to attach itself for a few days, it will have died.  If there was only the snail, then the parasites may well have died. If there was a snail with anything that the Ich can play host on, then the snail might still be carrying Ich in stage 2 attached to the snail shell.

It was my 30 gallon that I have been treating with ich. I put the snail in a 3 gallon with a betta, a dwarf frog and another snail. I have not treated the 3 gallon but I could, I just don't know how much treatment for such a small tank. I want to put one of my snails back in my 30 gallon, but I don't want to re-infect the larger tank. I have a ten gallon quarantine tank set up. Should I just put the snail in that tank? The ten gallon is pretty bare just water and a heater.

Assuming you've had the water at tropical temperatures, Ich won't be attached to your fish for three weeks.  Since that's the case, I would say your snail is safe to put back into the main tank!

Have you made sure you've removed all trace of the whitespot med from the main tank? If there's any left it could kill the snail.
When I had to treat for whitespot, I removed the snails like you did, but before I put them back I did a big water change, then run carbon for a few days (changing the carbon every day) then just to be 100% sure I ran polyfilter for a few days - that's the stuff made by Underworld/Arcadia that removes metals. It's the copper in most whitespot meds that kills the snails.

When you say you put the filters back in, do you mean you put in the carbon media that you took out to treat the tank or brand new carbon media? If it's what you took out before treating, depending how long it's been in the tank it could well be full and not remove the medication. In this case you'd need to run some new carbon media for several days before putting the snail back.
If it's new carbon though, you should be OK.

When I first had snails (mine were nerites) I got whitespot after putting new fish in the tank. I only ran one batch of carbon afterwards and the snails died when I put them back. The next time I had whitespot (more new fish; I quarantine now) I used carbon then polyfilter and the replacement snails were OK.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back