Small tank!

steffi0122

Reaction score
I know that there is already a thread abou this but i have a different question.

I now have only the one betta a small 1.5 gallon tank with an undergravel filter. When i clean it...(i know someone said to use a small syphon or a turky baster to clean the gravel) But should i take the fish out first? i really am sort of new at the small tank thing and i know next to nothing!

Should the fish come out and if so where do i put him while i am cleaning? How do i go about cleaning under the filter since the gravel is on top? do i take everything out? I have heard that it is not a good idea to do that but how else can i get under there? Should i do a full water change or a partial? When i am putting the betta back in should i make the water the smae tempertaure or should i float him for a while???

Need some help please!!!

glad to hear you moved your other betta out. Trust me they will tank you for it.

As far as cleaning goes, You can use the turkey bater or the siphon to remove about half of the water and junk on the bottom every week, then every two months, remove the gravel and the UGF and clean the entire tank. This is what i do for my 2 gallon and it does well.

I always take my betta out when cleaning as in a smaller tank the fish wont have any place to hide and i would imagine it would be stressful. At work i put my betta in a big plastic cup, and at home i put him in a tupperware bowl. Just make sure to put a cover on whatever you decide to do as they are quit little jumpers!

Also I get the water temperature the same, add the dechlorinator, wait 20 minutes then dump him along with the little bit of water back into the tank.

Thank you so much for all your help! I want to get him established in his new home as quickly as possiable. Also i put the other betta back into the big tank with some live plants that float around the surface for him to hide in! What do you think?

Sounds great to me. And that is very good you put floating plants in. They like to stay at the top and coverage always helps. :D

personally, i leave the betta in when i suck out the garbage and water. but i'm a turkey baster user so theres room and no chance of sucking part of the betta up as well, like you could with the syphon.

steffi0122 said:
Should the fish come out and if so where do i put him while i am cleaning? How do i go about cleaning under the filter since the gravel is on top? do i take everything out? I have heard that it is not a good idea to do that but how else can i get under there? Should i do a full water change or a partial? When i am putting the betta back in should i make the water the smae tempertaure or should i float him for a while???

Need some help please!!!
I have my betta in a small tank with an UGF as well. I never take him out when I clean it. I would think that would be terribly stressful for him. I bought a small gravel vacumn from Wal-mart. I think it was $5.00 and I use that to remove about 50% of the water and I clean the gravel with it as it is removing the water. Just move it around and it will suck up the yucky stuff. Then I replace the water carefully so it doesn't swish Barney around too much and that's it! Happy for another week :D

I just wanted to add that I also leave my bettas in while cleaning. The first time they don't like it a lot (though aren't significantly stressed out), but after that they're just fine. They have no problem with me in there, and some of them even seem to enjoy the stimulation - attack the baster and such. :rolleyes:

IMO, it's less stressful for them to be left in. That way they aren't taken out, left in an unfamiliar space, then put back into new water. I've tried both ways, and much prefer leaving them in the tank. :nod:

Guess it all depends on your personal preference. I don't use a baster i use a siphon and to get it started you have to shake vigourusly and my bettas hate this. This is why i take them out. :)

I also leave my bettas in the tanks.....as Julie said, just seems less stressful for the wee guys and gals! :D

Most reactions

Back