Small Pleco?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

metweezer

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Are there any small plecos that won't grow any longer than say 2" but will still clean up on algae in a 20L tank? 
sad2.gif

Simple answer; no.

Otocinclus stay small, but need to be kept in groups.

20l is very small; you'd be better off cleaning the algae off yourself, tbh. Do you have any fish in the tank?

Yea id have to agree the smallest pleco i know i believe gets 3" and is a L046, it is also a carnivore and needs a larger tank. The only fish thats suitable for your tank is guppies or a betta. Or shrimps and snails. 

Better off just stopping the algae problems.

I've never known anyone to have just one tank in this hobby... lol  what about getting a bristlenose?  They are slow growers and before they out grow your 20G, you could already be on your second, much larger tank??? Just a thought...
biggrin.png

Thank you so much. This is a very helpful forum. You guys and gals have been providing timely & informative.information. It is greatly appreciated.

fluttermoth said:
Simple answer; no.

Otocinclus stay small, but need to be kept in groups.

20l is very small;  Do you have any fish in the tank?
No fish yet.Still obtaining a few products before I start the cycle.

Are you referring to a 20 liter or a 20 gallon long tank? Sounds like you're going to be doing a fish-less cycle, good on you :)

FawnN said:
I've never known anyone to have just one tank in this hobby... lol  what about getting a bristlenose?  They are slow growers and before they out grow your 20G, you could already be on your second, much larger tank??? Just a thought...
biggrin.png
It's never a good idea to get a fish before you have the tank it will live in permanently. Usually when hobbyists plan to "get the bigger tank when they need it," there are already problems with stunting, and Murphey's law kicks into action, and the hobbyist never gets the larger tank. 

Having said that, if the tank is indeed a twenty gallon long, then a bristlenose or two is fine in that size. I had three in my twenty long (plus a single female betta) with no worries, but then eventually upgraded them to a thirty-something with more wood and more floor space. They are super active now. A twenty liter, on the other hand, would be a no-no.

Sorry about that.
smile.png
 I keep forgetting that this Forum has many, if not most, members from the U.K. I am referring to a 20 gal. long. I will definetely be doing a fishless cycle.

O, well im from the US, and when you say 20L its sounds like a 5 gallon fish tank. 20 liters = 5 gallons

Alright so yea you can get a bushy nose pleco and have some real driftwood for it, this is a must. They eat off the wood and get better color and digest easier. 

Bristlenose plecos would likely be your best vet for your tank then. As saw said, you need real driftwood. Cholla wood is an inexpensive option, but mine really enjoy the Malaysian I have in their original tank. They also like Manzanita (or mine do). Cholla is great because it also acts as a cave because of its tube shape.

Also keep in mind that these guys don't seem to clean the glass of algae. They'll take a bit of it, but they prefer wafers and wood.

I would look into why you're getting algae rather than buying a fish to take care of it. Or if you want to buy something then I would go with a snail, nerites are very good at cleaning algae.

If you want a pleco just because you like them though then a BN would be a good choice. They come in a variety of colors and you can get longfin ones as well. As above you'll want some wood for them to gnaw on :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back