Small Arrowana

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mishmash

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have spoken to someone who imports Arrowana, with regard to tank size etc.
The tank I have in mind is only 100 x 50 x 40 and I realise that long term this is way too small.
However the guy has told me that if I buy them small, when they get to being too big for the tank
(and I would make sure this is not when they measure 2 foot !!!, it would be at an appropriate size)
that there is sufficient demand to sell them at a greater price and fund a smaller replacement ad infinitum.
Thus it is possible for smaller tank owners to own these stunning fish, even if they only remain in situ for
a much shorter amount of time than normal.

My question now, is what fish are compatible. IE whats the smallest fish you can keep as companions without the
arrowana snacking on its tankmates ? Bearing in mind it would be a baby... probably only 10cm long and the thickness
of your little finger.

Any help from Arrowana keepers / experts would be most welcome.

Cheers

TBH if kept correctly and fed correctly, you will barely have months with one in that tank.

A lot will depend on species, silver arrowanas arent worth your time, get big far too quick and arent really worth anything and if you are gonig to spend a lot of money importing a high quality arrowana, you wont want to put it in such a small tank.

I had a Pearl Arrowana at 4-5cm who had just lost his eggsac and he was in a 125L tank for all of about 3 months before he got too big and the only fish he didnt want to murder was a plec much larger than him and as likely to bite him back.

TBH if kept correctly and fed correctly, you will barely have months with one in that tank.

A lot will depend on species, silver arrowanas arent worth your time, get big far too quick and arent really worth anything and if you are gonig to spend a lot of money importing a high quality arrowana, you wont want to put it in such a small tank.

I had a Pearl Arrowana at 4-5cm who had just lost his eggsac and he was in a 125L tank for all of about 3 months before he got too big and the only fish he didnt want to murder was a plec much larger than him and as likely to bite him back.

Thanks mbou. Pretty repidly realising that although they look cute at 10cm long, they become nasty little buggers, lol. Gonna shelve this as a dream for when I can afford a 2000gal tank and own a rabbit farm, LOL

i must agree, the cost of importing the fish is not going to sustain a long enough reationship before you will be looking to rehome the little monster.

just as a little aside question to throw in here for aro experts, is there a species of aro that have the elongated fins of the silver aro but arnt just silver, i ove the shape and design of the silver aro but the colours of some of the other species are just beautiful, was wondering if anybody knew of a breed that has a bit of both.

i had a jardini that i grew to about 18 inches, if the tank is big enough and the other fish are equal size they will be fine, i kept a few clown knifes and id sharks with him....i would not recommend a tank under 100 gallons for an arrowanna

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back